1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Dieing Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Oct 25, 2006.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

With the intoduction of the electric robot mowers that are trained to mow your lawn and 20 more years of technology, we will start seeing the end of commercial mowing or any mowing envolving human labor...

Even now, price wise, they are not too bad, hoovering around the $1k to $1500 range. (figure today a high end honda, not commercial, is over $700)

50 years from now, the old people will be telling their grandchildren how they use to walk behind and ride their mowers.

plus gas mowers are under high criticism for pollutants. some cities are pushing to ban mowing all together during certain hrs of the day (smog days)

Im not sure who follows military jets, and the last and largest deal with lockheed martin for the new stealth fighters, but the airforce has made the claim that they will be the last generation of pilots to fly, perhaps.

And so will this probably be almost it for those who mow. All that is left to do is improve the chip (brain) of the mower, a more efficient and powerful electric engine, and perhaps even a solar charge..... All these technologys will advance well over the next 20 years.

Anyone getting into this business today, would be wise to get into the landscaping portion of the business.
  2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up.
  3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

watching WAY too much SciFi channel....if it is meant to happen...it'll happen.Nothing you, I or anyone else can do about it. If you watched the Jetsons back in the 60's and 70's, we were all supposed to be driving flying cars in the 21st century.
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt it. If people have a robot mower, they still have to store it, maintain it, fix it when it breaks and replace it when it wears out, just like the mowers of today. The type of people who pay to have their lawns cut now will pay to have them cut 50 years from now.

Thirty or forty years ago, it was widely predicted that robots would cook our meals, drive cars for us, clean our houses and do other menial tasks by the 21st century. The technology exists, but the demand for it does not, and may never. People like to drive their own cars and cook their own meals or have another person do it. LCOs may someday have automated mowers, but I think there will always be demand for professional lawncare as long as there are lawns to maintain.
  5. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Well I guess we should invest some of our earnings into what is to replace us, invest in the stocks. That way we still stay in the green! If I can stay in the lawn buisness and not have to work then that is the way for me. I say also we might try to get in and actually sell them too. One of my sides is air purifiers and sanitizers. Not those cheap ones you see on TV either.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then all will have to do is drop off the robot mowers on the turf,then sit in the A.C. in the trucks and wait for them to get done ,then move on to the next lawn.
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to tell what the future will bring, that's for sure! I remember that computers were going to give us a paperless society, yet it seems that we generate more paper than ever!

Who would have thought that Kodak would virtually be out of the film business today?

Looking back a decade ago, I remember people were standing in line at midnight to buy Windows 95! Computers sure have advanced!

However, a lot of things still haven't changed. Cars still have 4 wheels and require a driver (even if Lexus has one that will park itself). Buildings have seen improvements in energy efficiency and convenience, but houses still look like houses. I think that the desire for leisure time will drive many markets. If something will save time, it will sell.

Another business that is dying is dentistry. With floride in toothpaste and floride treatments, along with proper care, cavities are almost a thing of the past. Of course, there will still be cleanings, orthodontists, etc. but many corrective services are declining in younger people.

Have you seen the nano machines? WOW! Motorized machines that can be injected into arteries to clean them, etc. They are even working on fusing living cells and machines by getting cells to grow into parts! That's scary!

As far as mowing? People won't want to do it themselves. Some will buy an automatic mower, some will hire someone. I really think that if any big changes are made, it will be in grasses. Ag researchers will develop grasses that grow about 3 inches, then stop. They won't have to be mowed regularly.
  8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm much more concerned about slow growing grasses than I am robots that can run a line trimmer and edger and blower. Mowing, yes, maybe that is do-able in the not-too-distant future, but it'll be decades before a machine can do the line trimming, edging and clean-up.

DFW Area Landscaper
  9. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

If the robots take over mowing we can just go mow over the robots with are ztr's! Have you ever actauly seen one? They take like a full day to mow a lawn. I must say that haveing a robot mower crew for lco's would be nice. 5 mowers bots, 3 trimmerbots, and a couple blowerbots. You could drive into a nieghborhood open the trailer and be done with 10 lawns in an hour! haha fun.
  10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

This comment tells me YOU watch too much sci-fi channel:nono: ...What???Did you honestly think that as soon as the new millenium was ushered in...that your car would turn into a flying jet car like George Jetsons:hammerhead: ??? A century is 100 years...not 6 or 7 years...Who knows what will be happening 50, 60, or even 70 years from now??? Other than the fact that it will still be the 21st century...