A "different" enclosed trailer question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 2k1yzfr1, Dec 21, 2003.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about buying a 20-22' enclosed trailer for this next season. My question is what do you all with enclosed trailers do with them while you are mowing?? Do you close them all back up and lock everything or just leave the door down?? Right now I have a 18' open trailer with a trimmer trap weedeater rack and a huge mesh tool box on the front of the trailer that are kept lock at all times when I am mowing. I know that the enclosed trailer is the most secure at night, but what about when you are working?? :confused: Thanks for the help.

Justin

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have thought about this also it seems like dropping and raising the gate would be a pain in the azz

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

If I had an enclosed, I would likely leave the ramp down. But then, I do fairly small lawns so I'm not really away from it for any real length of time.

I suppose if you were doing some larger, maybe commercial sites where you could be a good distance away from it for some time, then maybe it would be worth taking the time to close it up.

From what I see others doing, seems everyone leaves them down.

4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

We leave the door down but leave all equipment locked up inside all the time.

Scott

5. 2k1yzfr1

What do you use to lock up your blowers?? Chainsaws?? I have a trimmer trap that I will pull off my 18' open trailer and mount it in the enclosed trailer.

6. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

There is two of the dual blower poles from TrimmerTrap and we also have a couple of heavy duty cable locks.

Scott

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

75% of the time I close the ramp. About half the time I also lock it. Most of these ramps are very easy to lift and close because of the cable mechanism . You can easily lift these up with one hand....actually much easier than an open trailer ramp.

I use combination locks which is easier and quicker than fumbling for keys.

Most of the times I close it because I've had someone almost run into the ramp when backing up and they are hard to see.

They really are very easy to close

8. 2k1yzfr1

Yeah my friend's 14' landscape trailer has the cable which makes it surprisingly easy to open and shut. Or course it isn't as easy as my open trailer with a 160lb garage door spring (you can lift the gate with 1 finger) that's the best $14 I have ever spent.:D

9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Quote:

We leave the door down but leave all equipment locked up inside all the time.

My question is--why have an enclosed trailer and still lock everything up inside????? Seems like it would just be easier and cheaper to close the door.

Just my opinion.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Because if I;m in the back of a property for any length of time (for example if installing plants)...its still very easy for someone to open the rear ramp and be off with $2000 worth of hand held equipment in less than 60 seconds. I take no chances with my insurance company....I have great coverage at a good price...and I want to keep it that way