A different method for distributing flyers...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Adam3669, Mar 4, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

hey, bad publicity is better than none at all. there was this lawn I drove by every other day that looked like crap so I stopped by to leave my card. nobody was home and I notice some pin holes around the trim of his door so I pinned my bussiness card there. he called me and had me redo his whole lawn.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Especially when you consider...walking all over their lawn is our line of work :laugh:

3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you hang the flyer bags when on a door? most screen doors around here are a closed "C" so a paper one with a slot cut works fine but no real way to get the bags to hang on there, and I don't think it is right to open the screen door and place it on th insode door handle.

4. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

You make a valid point but I think that if someone is so Anal that they get PO'd about me opening up their door to hang my flier: A. They probably weren't going to hire me anyway and B. They would probably be a PITA:drinkup:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, you DON'T want to go messing with peoples' doors and door handles. People get VERY alarmed at this. Imagine if YOU pulled up to your mom's house and saw some guy tugging on and/or opening the door. For me,...there would be some confrontation, I don't vare WHO they are. They got no business opening a house door.

6. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

Why don't people who want to be super efficient by throwing flyers on peoples driveways, instead just get the a list of people that aren't on the do not call list and do some telemarketing. Then they could stay at home and just make calls all day which would be much cheaper then driving around, throwing money (baggies with rocks and flyers) out the window.

7. proweedeater

proweedeater LawnSite Member

I've been hitting mall parking lots and putting them under windshield wipers durring hours that housewives and older people are most likely to be there. Its faster than going door to door.

8. brotherslc1

brotherslc1 LawnSite Member

We have done door hangers so far this month. If it had a handle it didnt work on I just put it in there sideways and made it fit. If it fit on the handle, I placed it on there and then fit it into the wedge of the door if it had a gap without opening it. The mall idea is good as well, havent tried that route yet.

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't open anyone's door either. If there's a newspaper box to put it in that's where it goes, or otherwise on the front step. I fold my flyers in thirds and put them in envelopes anyhow, this at least discourages competition from looking at them.

10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Since Easter is less then a month away here is an idea for you.

There was a company on here last year that came up with the idea of placing a small business card or small avertisment in a plastic easter egg and throwing them onto the lawn.

Most people are at least going to open the eggs to find out what's inside where as a plastic bag on the driveway is going directly in the trash can without being looked at. I though it was a ingenious marketing idea.