A different Oil Light question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cdolor, Jul 20, 2004.

1. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

I have a 4 week old Fastrak 20/52. Let me first say I love this machine. It is well build and cuts fast and well.

I just have a question about the oil light on my machine (20 HP Honda). I have 10 hours on it and did an oil and filter change at 5 hours. I plan to do the next one at 25. I use Pennsoil 10/40 and a Honda filter (bought at my dealer). Beginning about hour 7 I get the oil light coming on at starts (mainly cold) and it goes out after 5 or so seconds at 1/2 throttle. It never comes on again but I was wondering if this is normal, that it just takes a few seconds for it to make pressure. I check my oil prior to every start and it is exactly on the full mark.
    This may be normal but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

As long as it does not come on again at any throttle position, idle to full, then your ok.
    It will take a few seconds to get the engine oil up to pressure when starting.

Pj

3. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Chuck,

This is not unusual as the oil pressure switch is the last galley to receive oil pressure.

Honda does not recommend 10W-40 oil for their engines. Please consider using 10W-30 (API grade SJ) at your next oil change.

Thanks

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Pwoer Products, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor-Kansas and Missouri

4. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

Hi Jim,
    The 10/40 was a typo. I am actually using 10/30 as per the advice of my dealer.
    Thanks for the advice however.

Has anyone used synthetic oil in the Honda 20 HP engine. I own a couple of air cooled VW (Bugs) and run synthetic in the one having a high perfromance engine. It seems to run cooler. I was wondering if there was any benefit doing this with the Honda engine.

Thanks,
    Chuck

5. jneedham

jneedham LawnSite Member
    from 66118

Honda is nuetral on the benefit of synthetic oil.

Their specs call for an API rating of SJ or better and either 5-30, 10-30 or 30w oil based on a temperature chart. They do not allow greater oil change intervals based on using synthetic oil.

If you use a synthetic you should wait until the unit has a least 50 hours prior to making the switch. As you probably know engines have difficulty seating rings if synthetic is used from the outset.

Jim Needham
    Kansas City Power Products, Inc.
    Authorized Honda Engine Distributor: Kansas and Missouri

6. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice Jim.
    I would still do oil changes at 25 hour intervals. The cost difference doing an oil change on a small engine is pretty low even using $5 a quart synthetic. I have a Kohler 20 engine with 1580 hours on it running 10/30 synthetic. I want to keep my Honda for years as well.

Nothing beat frequent oil changes.

Chuck