1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A double blade combo to avoid!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I just happened to run across some "Gator-like" blades that had outside flow teeth instead of inside flow like the Gators. I had some pretty massive wet growth so I thought I'd try a set of them along with the Gators.

Boy was that a bad idea. Oh it mulched well with the mulch kit on and the cut looked nice and clean when I left. But when the sun came out and it dried, I saw a bad case of brown tip.

It seems this combo creates such a violent air flow that it was blowing the grass down and beating the tips of the grass rather than creating a vacuum and cutting real clean.

I just thought I'd put this out here and hope it saves someone else from making the same mistake I did.

Maybe it might be ok if they were used side discharging rather than mulching. I dunno.
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have not seen these yet. Thank you for the tip.

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran those on the Dixie I had last year. They were the only blades that would cut and throw the clippings good enough for most of my clients.

If you use them with a mulch kit it wont work. Only good for side discharge. And yes they did a great job.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I have read here a couple of times that doubles with a mulch kit is a bit of overkill and usually doesn't work well. especialy if one of the doubles is a gator.

But this is just somehting I remember reading.

I use a gator over highlift and side discharge OR bag with the same blade combo.
  5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running med lifts over those reverse angle gator-type blades; I believe mine were called raptors. I have had the same problem of dead tips and figured my blades weren't sharp enough but after sharpening have still had the problem so maybe that's it. I will be going back to hi lifts only in a few days when they get in. After that I am going to try switching back to gators over hi lifts. I have also been having a lot of missed grass that I felt like must have been pushed down instead of stood up but I didn't understand why. Thanks for the feedback.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Since I'm always experimenting, you probably saved me some dinero senor:D
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried a few combos with mixed results.
    I've never see the blades refered to.

As far as what works & what dosnt depends greatly on the type & brand of mower.

52" Lesco Hydro 19hp, Ive noticed the following,
    Single blades:
    Standard lift, great cut
    Normal highlifts, more defined stripes & picks up more junk stuck in the lawn.
    Gators, poor cut & not great discharging. But good for DRY leaves.

Standard lift, good for fall, leaves a good stripe but will leave uncut grass as higher speeds.
    Standard/highlift, Highlift/highlift, more suction than discharge. bad blow out & a lot of uncut grass.
    Highlift & gator, creates one hell of a dust storm w/ dry leaves, Grass tends to discharge in messy clumps.
    Reg lift & gators, Great for mulching leaves but also creates unsightly scattered clumps.
    Gator/Gator, havent tried yet.

So I'm sticking with Single blades standard or highlifts in the spring. Summer I'll go to highlifts, except in a drought I'll switch to reg lift to ease up on dust. Fall I'll to go double reg lifts. Big leaf drop time I'll go to gators & reg lifts for the final cut.

Of cource thats what I'd like to do but who knows what will actually happen... I'm prepared for the first week of cutting (next week) with an old set of reg blades because I know I'll be hitting rocks, sticks & wouldn't want to ruin a good set on the first cut.
  8. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I just tried the Gators over Raptors, The cut was excellent, blew most of the leaves away, and does make a big dust storm.
    I have just used Gators by themselves and still a big dust storm.
    Don't like them by themselves, (gators).. Next I'll try both Raptors and see what happens. Single blades I prefer Raptors.....

Lou :cool:
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what brand the blades were that had the outside flow tips. But they weren't Raptors. All of the Raptors I have seen had an inside flow. Also all I have seen were made like the wave style mulching blades. But there are probably other styles.

I'm glad I was able to help with the info. I may try this combo out again just side discharging to see how it works....maybe....I will likely run some doubles and discharge over the next few days. Everything is soaked here from 4 days of rain.

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there any good blades available for the walker? 48" deck (catcher or Rear Deflect clippings) Id like to find some better blades than stock.