A Drip/Garden question...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, May 1, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Hello experts. I would just like to say this is my favorite forum to post on cause it deals with a hobby/job of mine..Irrigation..

With that said and out of the way, I am in the process of building a garden for my dad(father's day present).I am installing the garden that is 16X16 in a very sunny area.I am cutting the turf out every day after work on my way home, and re-installing the (red-threaded) turf.

Any way, in the garden we are building up the sides with 4X4's...I am getting the loam delivered on Sunday/Saturday.Well, my initial question is @ what depth do I install the drip.I was thinking about 3-4 inches below grade of the garden...We will be planting Tomatoes,Beans,Squash,lettuce the basics....My question is @ what pattern do you Big Dogs think will be most effective.....I know the plants are going to be relocated ever few years for circulation...I was thinking about griding my pattern with 12' netafim in 8 ft laterals....

Thoughts?Comments?Ideas?

Just wondering what you all have to input on the subject....

Eddie

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If time and suppliers allowed, you might build a discrete-component drip system, partly for the learning experience, and partly to accommodate changing needs of the plantings. Rainbird has the most in-depth line of drip components.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

our suppliers are fairly up to date....i have about 3 weeks to put the system in....I am going to install a manual watering system.
    so how would you grid it?
    Depth?
    what length 12 or 18?

I apoligize for my Noobness.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I would go right on the surface. A garden see's too much action to bury the lines. Put them on the surface so you can pull them out easy if you re-arrange, or want to till it.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would not bury it, I would install it on top and cover with mulch. I f you bury it it will get messed up by digging and transplanting, plus the roots of the plants will clog it up.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might try to grab a copy of Rainbird's Xerigation manual - tons of detail. Almost a textbook.

7. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Netafim, laid on top, spaced 12"

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of variations, here is a basic one.

Attached Files:

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

SheShovel, the self proclaimed queen of drip, apparently was asleep in Drip 101 when they taught about the benefits of an exhaust header.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

dirty water-do you mean a flush valve?