a dump trailer that actually dumps?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jerry and Sons, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I currently have an appilation 14ft dump trailer that is so poorly designed that it can not dump a load. The rear of the trailer hits the ground before it is up all the way. I have tried useing a lower hitch on the truck but still not enough room to be able to dump the load. Looking for in put on trailers that actually dump.
    Thanks

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Any dump trailer I seen that are between the wheels are all the same, in my mind a dump trailer is a poor replacement for a dump truck.

The only other option you have is modify it into a deck over wheels trailer or sell the trailer and buy a deck over wheels dump trailer.

3. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

I wouldn't sell my Cam Superline ever! Best 7500$ I ever spent. 14' long 14000 GVRW! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

If your axles are mounted above the leaf springs, you could try to remount them below the leaf springs to give a couple of inches of lift.

5. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I have a big tex 14' low pro and it dumps without a problem but the deck is higher then alot of other dump trailers I looked at. Our dump trucks have there place but so does the trailer.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Wow thats crazy. I have a lo pro load trail and it doesnt hit the ground. The angle is also good to dump no prob. Sometimes mulch or brush needs a little help

7. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

dosent sound like the dump angle is set right for the overhang at the rear pivot

8. davidhoy.pt

davidhoy.pt LawnSite Member

I have a "deck over" Bri-mar dump that is 8 years old and dumps beautifully. For all of you "dump trailer haters": I can haul more legally than any t-tag, it costs less to insure, less to register and is far less $$ to operate.

9. newjerseylandscaping

newjerseylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You can try to add heavyer duty leaf springs and adasprings to add height to it, or modify it to have more ground clearance. can you post pics so we can get a better idea of what your issue is? thanks, nj

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 10' PJ. Other than a bad battery that wouldnt hold a charge, I've had no problems hauling or dumping up to 6 tons (slightly illegal/ overloaded) of topsoil. The bed is higher than some, but just right to slide a wheelbarrow under. 3 way tailgate, pull out ramps, and built like a tank.