A Fast Way To Get Paid!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gatewayuser, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a great idea on how to get paid. I have a customers 2 months behind on the lawn bill. They have a business with 3 trucks so what I was thinking about doing is putting wheel immobilizers on all the trucks I bet I would get paid fast! Hey the cops do it why shouldn't I.

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Because its not against the law for the cops to do it.

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats scary. think of all the negative things that could happen. What if they heard you and came out with a bat or gun? or turned their pit bull loose on you. Funny Idea, just dangerous. I think there is a lot better methods. Have you gone to the house with the bill in hand and a nice bright red "past Due" stamped on it? If you are nice or at least calm and polite they may pay it there on the spot. if not then read all the threads about collecting past due bills and it will give you many more reasonable and realistic ways to collect.
    One thing I do agree with you on is the fact that there is a lot of deadbeats out there who want you to do the work and then don't pay. I am currently dealing with 2 myself. Good luck

4. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Hire an attorney. Simple.

5. Gatewayuser

I will get my money by the end of the week I guaranty it. I have only let 1 person never pay me and it was only $30 but this one is around $600.
    I would not actually put one of those on a car but it would be fun.

6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

just make sure that you write a follow up and let us know how it went please:hammerhead:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It took me a long time (like 4 years) to find a method where I either get paid 99% of the time or when I don't get paid, I can manage to live with it. Fact is, I've learned there will always be one or two who will not pay no matter what.

The worst part by far is the anger... Nevermind right after but even 2-3 years later somedays I'm just doing whatever and all of a sudden these long-gone non-payers come to mind and it starts all over fresh again, it can be hours before I'm cool...

I think it's different for everybody, I think every individual has to find either through trial and error or some other kind of way, a method that provides pretty good payment most of the time, and peace and quiet the rest of it.

So I tried many different things until I came up with my method and it works for me, good luck in your search of the nirvana money :)

p.s.: One thing that has helped a lot is to avoid potential problems all together, if I even THINK the deal isn't 100% cool, I run.

8. Gatewayuser

There usually are red flags like last year this person wanted me to work for them and I looked very small with a reg riding mower that I was hauling for someone with a little beat up trailer on the weekend. He asked me to give him a call but I did'nt get around to last year. This year he calls and wants a price and I got the job. I bet he thinks I'm smaller then I am and he can get away with it but he's wrong.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhhh that is one problem where, even when I can't prove it, the thought runs through my mind and that burns me up. Doesn't even matter how small I look, it's just the fact that people who wouldn't dare not pay the electric bill have no evident problem sending me nothing, I hate that.

As for me, I use olddebts.com because there's no physical interaction and putting their debt on their credit record provides me with closure, which is to say it takes enough away from the anger that I can sleep again, so to speak. No it isn't perfect, the anger still exists, but the edge is gone... Hard to describe exactly but for me, it's the ticket.

I've tried many other things, some along the lines of a physical interaction similar to wheel blockers but I didn't like it because I always felt there might be something illegal about it. So for me, nothing works better than the Instant Collect Package w/ credit record reporting option. Now whether they ever pay or not, it's on their credit record to come around and remind them at least once in the next 7-10 years, it will come back and haunt them the way it haunts me sometimes, and that's what makes it possible for me to have inner peace, is I know this same money problem WILL cross their mind in a bad way sometime later down the road, too.

10. Gatewayuser

Wow thats even better then wheel blockers. I know exactly what your talking about. I will send them a letter tomorrow saying basically pay now. When 90days hit then it will say we will see you in court and this will be reported to credit bureau. That will either scare the crap out of them and they will pay or it will cost them even more money in court cost especially bad for them considering I know every judge in my area.