A few blade questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 11, 2005.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Is .204" thickness too thin, or should I look for only the .250" ones?

Are the gator style blades still considered best for mulching? If so, what is better between the mulcher magnum and the hi-lift versions?

How many sharpenings should one blade be able to take? I was thinking 3 or 4 maybe...

2. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I know I sure get a better cut from a thicker blade. I first thought it was the blade style, but am convinced now that it is the heavier blade that does the best.

I sharpen at least 5/6 times, and don't notice any less of a good cut. There again, I think this is another reason to use the heaviest blade.

Don't know have much preference on the mulching blades, so I also will be interested in seeing what others may say about them.

3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

only 5 or 6 times sharpening the blades? what do you do after the 6th time, dump em?

4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

That's what my wife wishes I would do with them. Right now they are laying under my grinder bench under the carport. I may get more sharpenings out of some of them but I have a couple of remote customers whose yards are big and rough (rocks) and they take a toll on the blades. I have to grind off more than I would if I were doing the nice "just grass" yards all the time. What about you, how many sharpenings do you get from a blade?

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

5 or 6 sharpenings only?!? I get 5 or 6 hundred hours out of mine. Thats 50 or 60 sharpenings.

6. TROTTMAN

50-60 for one set of blades sounds a little... oh how to you say... impossible? Maybe if you just took a little, tiny bit off each time.

Usually I need to take off a good bit each time (they get pretty rounded off).

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the 1/4 '' blades, toro oem ones...

I get many sharpenings out of a blade, and I do rough work, not lawns...

I also will keep sharpening and balancing until the blade is completly stuffed, i.e sail is worn too much. When it becomes unsafe or not cut as good, then you dump them, not just after a couple of sharpens.

Mulch bldes, the gator magnums are great, good all purpose blade as well as mulching, nice and thick!

Another mulch blade to try is Raptors, not as thick but really are awesome....but like all mulching blades, only good in dry grass and not for jungle clearing lol.

8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Waste your money on blades if you want. Mine come out with a razors edge after 5 or 6 hours of use and last for... 5 or 6 hundred hours. How often are you sharpening your blades? If your waiting over a 20 or 30 hours to sharpen them you will obviously have to take off far more than someone who takes care of their equipment. But if you can only get 5 or 6 sharpenings, your either cutting gravel lots and need to accept the purchase of many, many blades per year as an operating cost or your waiting for an obscenly long amount of time to sharpen your blades. Whats impossable is for you to comprehend someone doing things that you cant. Your loss.

9. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

U got me curious BCSteel, what do you use?

10. TROTTMAN

Don't get too upset! I think its great you sharpen your blades a lot, its just the first time I have heard of someone getting that much life out of them. I think I'll try to use mine longer now.