A few Metro problems....

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jajwrigh, May 18, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Here is my setup: 36" Metro w/ 2 spacers above, 2 below....3 spacers below front casters, axel pos D. I am running OEM blades and they are swapped out for sharp ones every 6 to 8 hours. All grease fitting are pumped weekly and the deck is scraped daily. Now for the 2 problems. For one, my right drive wheel belt keeps working itself off of the front pulley which makes the pistol grip tight and almost completely unresponsive. My second problem is with my cut. For no apparent reason I am seeing a small area of uncut grass about an inch wide right between the blades. It does this periodically and it does it with all three sets of blades I have. It started 2 days ago in the middle of a yard and I am stumped. What do you think Terry?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jajwrigh,

Generally when I see the wheel drive belt walk off a pulley there are only a couple of causes. If the belt walks off when in reverse or when you are pulling the mower backwards the most probably cause is misalignment of the drive idler pulley/arm. Make sure the arm isn't bent, if it is just bend it back it's really pretty simple. The double check the alignment and give it a try.

When I see the belt walk off when forward is engaged I generally see debris in the pulley. Double check to make sure the scraper (fork like attachment that protrudes into the V of the pulley) is adjusted properly and then give it a try. You can adjust the scraper as deep as you want into the pulley just make sure it's not touching it.

Also check the wheel drive pulley for damage. Once in a while I'll see where they have become damaged and will allow a belt to walk off. You may also want to look at the belt itself to make sure it's not worn or damaged in any way. Often when a belt starts walking off it will create a groove in the belt which makes it more likely to walk again.

For your cut problem I suspect pulling one front caster spacer out may make a significant difference. Give it a shot and let me know. Also are you side discharging or mulching?

Thanks

Terry

3. jajwrigh

Terry

I am side discharging and I am going to move a spacer, as suggested, and throw on some sharp blades and will report back later tonight. Thanks for you awesome support and your awesome products.

4. eXmark

Jadwrigh,

I almost forgot...........check the deck belt tenison as well.

Terry

5. jajwrigh

I adjusted the front caster as you suggested and all cut issues are fixed!!! I now understand how important proper blade pitch is.

6. eXmark

Jajwrigh,

Coooool! Everynow and then I get one right.

Thanks

Terry

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

More often than every now and then terry..........................