A few more Exmark TTHP questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Jan 11, 2003.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses that I received earlier. I'm bringing this post back to the top of the list by reposting. I hope you guys don't mind. But I have few more questions about this mower as I'm getting more familiar w/ it and all.

To recap: I just bought a used 2001 Exmark TTHP walk-behind, with a 17 Kawasaki, hydro and it came with a ProOne sulky. This mower has <100 hours on it. I paid $2500 for it.

Evidentally, it doesn't have a mulch kit. (Thanks for the picture that was posted earlier.) How much do these things cost?

Additionally, I noticed that it doesn't have a parking brake, which is supposed to be standard on this mower. Right?

When the ECS controls are in neutral (locked position) and the engine is running and in gear - the mower's right drive wheel will barely turn. The left will is stationary like it's supposed to do, but not the right one. I check into the manual, but couldn't understand how to make the adjustment so that when in neutral, the mower's right drive tire doesn't keep turning. Any idea on how to make this adjustment?

Lastly, I noticed that the stickers on the mower says to use Mobil Synthetic oil in the hydraulic reservior and the engine's dipstick say to use 10W30. I thought that you were supposed to use the Mobile Syn. in both the engine and hyd. Right?

Thanks again,

BAMARED

2. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

You need to search exmarks web site, find a service manuel and read it. That's the only way you will know for sure.

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

try posting this on the exmark forum . you will get the right answers

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Evidentally, it doesn't have a mulch kit. How much do these things cost?

Call the dealer. Probably a couple hundred (Cant remember), which includes a set of mulching blades as well.

Additionally, I noticed that it doesn't have a parking brake, which is supposed to be standard on this mower. Right?

No. It was an option just a few years ago, until they realized everyone was asking for it, so now its included.

When the ECS controls are in neutral (locked position) and the engine is running and in gear - the mower's right drive wheel will barely turn. The left will is stationary like it's supposed to do, but not the right one. I check into the manual, but couldn't understand how to make the adjustment so that when in neutral, the mower's right drive tire doesn't keep turning. Any idea on how to make this adjustment?

Again, go to the dealer and get a maunal for it. You will have to adjust the drive lever linkage. and there is a diagram and explaination all there and easy to follow.

Lastly, I noticed that the stickers on the mower says to use Mobil Synthetic oil in the hydraulic reservior and the engine's dipstick say to use 10W30. I thought that you were supposed to use the Mobile Syn. in both the engine and hyd. Right?

No. Kawasaki would double your engine warrenty when bought new if you would use Kawasaki motor oil. Since Exmark does not make the engine they would only suggest oil for the hydro systems that they do make. You can go synthetic now if you want, or stay with the Kawasaki oil (or whatever brand you want to use) either way it will be fine.

5. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Thanks CrazyGator,

The mower didn't come w/ an mfg.'s engine manual. I called Exmark and they were nice enough to be mailing me one.

One last question (I promise :)) The fella that I bought this mower from said that a mulch kit was really not needed. What do you think about that? I've always had mulching mowers and what to keep it that way. But the impression that the fella gave me was that this TTHP cuts the grass up into such fine pieces that a mulch kit was not needed. I don't know?

Thanks again,

BAMARED

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on what you want to offer your customers.

I have the TTHP 36" and always keep the mulch kit on. I have some properties that have come up a notch or two just because of me mulching this year.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

BAMARED asks:

"When the ECS controls are in neutral (locked position) and the engine is running and in gear - the mower's right drive wheel will barely turn. The left will is stationary like it's supposed to do, but not the right one. I check into the manual, but couldn't understand how to make the adjustment so that when in neutral, the mower's right drive tire doesn't keep turning. Any idea on how to make this adjustment?"

Does your TTHP have a "Tracking Adjustment Knob" on it?

I bought a new (2002) TTHP 36'' back in the spring and it has one. It also has a sticker (just to the left of the knob) explaining how to set it. See pic below:

SLS has attached this .gif:

[​IMG]

If yours has this feature then try jacking the mower up with BOTH drive/rear wheels off of the ground. Put her in neutral and if the right wheel is creeping try turning the knob counter-clockwise a bit and see if it stops. When, or if, it does...then you've got it!

The 'tracking knob' on mine is pretty sensitive...when I'm riding the sulky it doesn't take much adjustment of the knob to make it start tracking off to the left or right. Man, I wish my Lazer Z had this knob! Adjusting the tracking on my Lazer Z is much more of a PITA than just turning the knob on the TTHP.

I believe that 2002 was the first year that the parking brake was made 'standard equipment' for the TTHP. I'm glad it came on mine...especially for transporting on the trailer. It sure helps to keep the machine in place during transport.

Oh yeah, there are supposed to be 2 manuals that come with the machine new...a "Owner-Operator" manual for the TTHP from Exmark.....and a "Engine" manual from Kawasaki. Try to get your paws on BOTH of you can. They both have all the preventative mantainance info that you need to get the most out of your new baby...both engine, and mower.

I hope this helps ya. Good luck...and enjoy the FABULOUS machine you now own! :)

8. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

call exmark and they will help you on this. very easy to fix. I had the same problem in april, however, it is difficult to explain over the internet. It will take 60 seconds to fix.

cya

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to be doing leaves then I would reccommend the mulch kit. It also works great for grass as long as it's not wet or too tall. I paid around 150.00 for mine with the new blades and it installed but I bought the mower from this dealer and he knocked the price down a bit. If you ever move it around without it running with the levers down on the hydro unit and forget to raise them back up you will also have a tracking problem.

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Have any luck getting that right wheel to stop turning while in neutral?