A few mowing price questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Apr 14, 2004.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey all, I have a few questions. Do you recommend allowing customers to call when they want their lawn mowed? Does anybody allow this? I am asking this b/c I am wondering if I should allow it again this year b/c last year a few of my customers called to have it mowed like once every three weeks or a month and I ended up spending much more time than I expected b/c of how thick and tall the grass was. How much more do you charge for it if you are in this situation?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

25 every week
    40 every 2 weeks

everything after that forget about it

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No, you can not allow this. It will simply wreck havoc with your schedule.
    Probably everyone at one point when starting in business, allowed these types of customers. But eventually you wise up and realize you are just being used.
    We had a lady like this in the beginning. Mrs Jones wanted to call the shots. We'd be backed up because of rain and poor weather, and here would be Mrs. Jones calling, "My grass needs cut, it is high, come cut it today." Hello? are you kidding me? Yeah we'll run right over and put you in front of our good customers and get your lawn cut first. It didn't take long for us to come to our senses and kick Mrs. Jones to the curb. (nicely though of course.)

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

<i>I ended up spending much more time than I expected b/c of how thick and tall the grass was</i>
    <p>I think you answered your own question.More time equals less money for you.I don't like mowing for free myself.Tell em to get on a plan or drop them.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even offer such a thing. I cut every yard I have once a week besides one neighborhood that I have I cut once every other week becuase the grass just simply doesnt grow fast. I have explained to pretty much all of my customers that this is how I pay for my bills and all the other expenses I have, so take it or leave it. I have never had any problems from people, most are willing to pay for every week.

6. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

i do not offer this either but if the lawn is 30 a week i would definitely charge 60 for two weeks, it might even be 65. the grass grew double so why not charge double. it will not be more grass than doing it every week but you will have to dump the catcher more when doing it every 2 weeks.

7. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

A couple of my customers got me with the every other week schedule. But I look at it this way, their the customers that I cut when I am finished with my weekly customers and have some extra time. I know I should stop doing this every other week nonsense, but in my schedule I usually dont have enough time to cut all my accounts every week with the weather and school.

8. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

Sounds like you should use a bush hog instead of a mower. Try to get them to agree to every two weeks, but charge more.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Weekly only , no exceptions. We give our clients a "mow day", and they know to have the yard ready(free of toys, trash,dog poop, etc..) to be cut on that day each week. If it rains on the regular day, we cut it the next avail. day, but no matter what, we will cut it again on the regular day to keep them on schedule. I have done some rain day cuts on Monday, and re-cut again on Thursday, the regular weekly cut day.It's in the agreements, and no complaints. Don't work yourself out of business, and destroy your equipment at the same time.