A few new business questions?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kurto_15, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Kurto_15

Kurto_15 LawnSite Member

I am going to start a small landscaping business this spring and still work at my current landscaping job until it is big enough to support me full time (hopefully), but my question is should I use my current cell phone for business and personal or just get a boost mobile or something for business and pay $10 a month or so. I don't really want to have my message on my phone be just about business. Any opinions are welcome.
  2. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

You want a separate cell and business phone. If you prefer to answer your cell only, you can forward all of the call from your business number to the cell.
  3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do just about any option except for boost! Personally I would add a second phone to the service you already have it shouldnt be much more.

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

1) be sure you didn't sign a non-compete clause/agreement

2) I would use your current cell phone, and list your home as well.
  5. Kurto_15

Kurto_15 LawnSite Member

Well I think I'm just going to get a pay as you go phone for now. I said Boost because right now I have nextel because thats what works best in our area. Are they any companies that anyone thinks is good everywhere?
  6. scagrider22

Im not trying to critisize you but I think that is a bad idea you are better off using your personal phone. There is alot of reasons not to use a pay as you go phone for business. Good luck to ya.
  7. Kurto_15

Kurto_15 LawnSite Member

I am just thinking that I don't want to have my personal phone ringing while working for the other company, you know. I looked into adding a line to my current plan and to do that I would have to go to a family plan which is double my bill right now. What are some problem with prepay phones. I just thought that it would be a good idea for now then transfer the number to a real company at a later date. Any input is welcome, just trying to do what would be best.
  8. MAD87

MAD87 LawnSite Member

I would also say stick with one phone. When you are working, you can turn the ringer off (Or put it on vibrate). After all, that's what voicemail is for!:)
  9. scagrider22

You could also get a landline and have all the calls forwarded to your cell during the day and to an answering machine at night.
  10. Lawn Man Dave

Lawn Man Dave LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be suprised if your boss fire's you when he finds out or fires you down the road when he see's you are compition.......

Most companies will see it as a conflict of intrest.

Out of respect for your boss this is a bad move if you ask me.