A few pics

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Went back home for a couple days to help my old man with a huge retaining wall job. I don't know the exact square footage of the walls, but we have 60 pallets of wall blocks on site. The site is fairly nasty, it's hard to show in the pics how hair raising it was to cross the road below the wall. The access road was built by my dad, enough said. 10 minutes into the first day I slid off the side of the road with the 216 and almost rolled it over into the trees. I high centered the 246 the next day running a pallet of blocks. There's a spot right before you get on the road that isn't levelled up with backfill material, it's nasty steep. I had the machine sideways with the slope, hit a rock which pitched her up. Tried to get unstuck and had it up on 2 wheels, had to slam the pallet down to keep the machine from going over. Just another day I suppose. Job is about halfway done, there's some pavers left to do and a couple other things. Job was bid somewhere in the $60K range.

Here's about 25 pallets or so
    [​IMG]

Sitting on top of the wall with the 303 backfilling. 246B is the pallet runner. With a 6 man crew we run through a pallet of blocks pretty quick. Takes two operators to keep up with the crew.
    [​IMG]

Here's one end of the wall. Not quite finished yet in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Another shot a little further down the wall.
    [​IMG]

And she just keeps on going!
    [​IMG]

The far end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Triple threat
    [​IMG]

Dad says he's going to try to find a low hour 246, maybe even an A series. Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed with the 246. The same engine that was in the 277B we had and it feels so sluggish compared to the 277. It even sounds tuned down, I don't know what's up with that. Lift capacity of the 246 is 2,000 pounds but we were lifting 2,500 pound pallets no problem on flat AND we ran the machine down these hills with it too. If this machine handles our needs on this site it will handle them anywhere. It's so handy having a bigger machine, I knew he'd come around on that idea. This job would be impossible without the 246, breaking those pallets down to half would be such a PITA and time consuming. You need two skids on site anyway, one with a bucket running gravel and another with forks to move pallets. Then we use the 303 to backfill and compact behind the walls. Takes 3 machines but we're super fast on these jobs and have been building a huge reputation in town for quality retaining walls. Seems like that's all the crew is doing anymore, but the walls you see finished in the pics only took 3 days to complete.

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good Scag.:clapping: Did you have to do much dirtwork before you started laying block? That's one helluva view that homeowner has. There's nothing like a "nice" sloped, dirt road on a hill to make you pucker up every time you make a pass! :laugh:

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

That does look like a hairy place your working. I wish we had jobs like that around here. You could not get $5,000.00 from people around here for a wall let alone $60,000.00... Is that pretty common to pay that much out there? I could not see the house very well to see what it looks like if it is super nice. From what little I do see it must be decent sized. Be careful out there. I know sometimes that is easier said than done.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. The house is actually fairly embarassing, I was trying to figure out why these folks are willing to spend that kind of money on the landscaping for a house in this condition. It's possible that they may be remodeling soon and would like to get the landscaping done first, hard to say. The house does have a nice view of the valley backside of the valley, but the real views are of the lake. Here's a pic I took last summer looking off the deck of my parent's house. This is looking up valley, lake runs another 4 miles down lake as well. I sure do miss "home" sometimes.

This is the most expensive landscape project we've done thus far in business. This year is looking to be a good year, last year our landscape division revenues were th same as the year before, a little disappointing. But, we should be up about 50% this year.

[​IMG]

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

My back is sore just looking at the picutres :laugh:

That is pretty steep terrian a person would have to be carefull or you could go for a nice roll down the hill. The wall looks good it sure is allot of work.

For us big walls built out of block isn't used much because of engineering regulations. Plus the fact blocks are not cheap and have them trucked here from the supplier 200 miles away.

That house has a nice veiw I imagine its prolly worth a million dollars.

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great - quite an enhancement to the property.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Scag, I hate to bust your balls, but I see some serious issues with that wall.

First off, that really isn't the block you want for a tall wall, and I believe that anything over 4' in this state needs engineering.

2nd, There is no geogrid ran back into the soil for stabilization.

3rd, It appears that you are backfilling with native soil with no accounting for drainage?

4th, Did you run draintile behind the wall? I don't see it any outlets.

5th, that entire wall should have been engineered. Thats a good size hill.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hate to throw it right back at you, but here are a few facts.

1. Walls are no taller than 4', thus no engineering. These are 51 pound manor stone blocks, not the small ones.

2. Geogrid is not required nor is it necessary for this size of wall. We have spoken with many wall builders in this area and nobody else runs this method nor do they suggest that it's worth the cost.

3. Wall was backfilled with stone from the site. It's hard to see in the pics, but the whole knob was rock and the shale rock was used to backfill behind the wall.

4. With only 10 inches of rain per year, draintile is something else we don't do. We've done it in the past and haven't seen any difference in wall stability over time, we just don't see enough precipitation.

5. Wall does not need to be engineered as all terraces are 4'. Had this wall be over 4', we would have used geogrid, drain tile, and engineered it, whole nine yards, but the truth of the matter is that these walls have a rock solid base and will not be moving anywhere. Also, there will be one more wall, so there will be a total of 3 terraces.

9. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

I think I'm with Dirty.

Not only with what he said but it also looks like you just built dependant walls, not independant.

Granted I haven't been to the site, seen the backfill, or know the seive analysis of the backfill, but from the pics it doesn't look right.

Tiered walls with no grid, even at 4', are supposed to have 1-2 height to length ratio in between tiers.

I would love to see the pics sent to some qualified SRW engineers. It would be very interesting to hear their comments.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Scag, you guys are breaking a lot of basic SRW rules in the construction of those walls.

I hope you're right and they do hold up. You think it's a tough site now, wait till you have to work it with those walls on the ground. With those slope conditions I would have most certainly built those wall to higher specs.