A Few Questions About Possible Start Up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by unearth888, May 16, 2007.

1. unearth888

unearth888 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

1. How do you figure out the market and do a market analysis of a certain city/area?

2. How much gas would a 48" Hustler WB use in an 8 hour day on average? An Exmark 48"?

3. Just for fun, how do you guys mow around trees? My old man makes me push mow around each tree in the yard at least 4 times with a push mower so the rider won't leave tracks.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

1) Look around. What kind of houses are in your area?
    2) Your not going to be running it for 8 solid hours a day, maybe 1 hour worth of using your WB mower, maybe 2 so about 1 - 2 gallons a day.
    3) Is this a serious question?

3. unearth888

unearth888 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Yes, I'm trying to figure out if my dad is crazy!

4. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

go to census.gov and you can find all kinds of information about what areas make the most money in certain age groups. The baby boomers are the ones you want to target that make 100k shared income if you have professional equipment.

5. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Your father is crazy

6. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Most of us use scissors or an exacto knife I think. :hammerhead:

7. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, your old man is crazy, i sure wouldn't get my 21 off the trailer just to mow around trees, I avoid mowing with my 21's like it's the plague, unless ther is just no other choice.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

holy Crap..........

I dont even own a 21" mower..........

do they make them ?

9. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

He makes you do that so it is easier to manuver without having to make all the extra turns on the rider

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You should spray round-up or pour lots of salt around all the trees. This would be the proper way to do it.