A few questions for the pro's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still debating on adding chem apps for next year and I have a few more questions for you guys. If I'm using a 200 gallon spray rig, about how many 15,000 sq ft lawns can it treat on one tank? I've been checking around for the chemicals and I can't find how many gallons I could make with a 2.5 gallon jug? This will be a new venture for me and I am just trying to see if it's worth my time and money. Being that we mostly have centipede here it should make it fairly easy as centipede is easy to maintain. Any help or advice you guys have is welcomed.

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

yes it will make you money if you know how to figure your total costs and charge accordingly

judging by your questions, and take no offense, i would get some more experience, read some books on the subject and try to get some real world experience

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

2 gallons/1000 sq ft is a normal for applying chemicals. If you have a 200 gallon tank that means you can treat 100k worth of property or 6.666 15k yards. It all depends on how much your sprayer is calibrated to spray. A 2.5 gallon jug of chemical has nothing to do with how much ground you can cover.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Can you tell me how many gallons I could make out of a 2.5 jug? I'm looking for just a ruff example as I figure it will vary depending on the chemical. I realize I'm new but to this but I figure I can try and learn as much as possible before the first of the year and just go from there. I'll be taken the licscense exam in November.

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: Correct.....

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Rule #1 - You should always read the label and shouldn't have to ask anyone these questions!

I agree with Ampeg!

Not trying to be funny or rude, but with these types of questions....you are going to get yourself in trouble without some experience and/or guidence!

Even if you pass the test, that doesn't make you a good applicator.

Study your butt off, read this site, study more, go to meetings, and do everything you can to learn and you will be fine!

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

every chemical is mixed differently. some may be mixed 2 oz per gallon and some may be mixed 1 quart per gallon. Also different chemicals have different application rates. Mabey 1 gallon per 1000 sqft or 3 gallons per 1000 sqft. read the label and ask your chemical rep.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy chemicals? I have a lesco dealer about 65 miles away but there prices seem pretty high. I realize most of what I'm asking could be found on the product label, but I'm just trying to see if this is even going to be worth getting into. I've found that in my area the average size yard goes for $75 per visit. If it's going to cost me $40 to spray a yard leaving $35 profit then I'll know not to waste my time. Can anyone recommend a good spray rig? I have looked at a couple that lesco offers but I don't know of any others.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you deal with Lesco (which is who I deal with) you will probably have to pay higher prices until you get some volume!

What size area for $75?

You will probably be looking at about $15 per acre for 3-Way and about $40-45 per acre for fert. This is just a guess as I get much better prices then this, but this is what I would be GUESSING your costs would be close to.

If you are just going to do a few lawns you will only need a push spreader ($299) and a backpack sprayer ($85).

Remember also that you will have license and insurance cost to build into your pricing.

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

I feel confident that I could gain close to 75 or more. I figure about 25 from the start as they are current lawn maint customers, and once I get into the neighborhoods with a clean, professional looking setup that more will come and then of course I'll advertise. Do I need a different insurance other then my General Liability 1 Mil policy?