A few questions...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by xrayguy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

I've got about 2 mowing hours on my 52/24 mini and I have a few questions for Pj. First, I noticed yesterday that I had a small leak (very little) coming from the right hand side of the machine at about the middle of the mower. I checked again today and there were another couple of drops. Turns out that the hydrostatic oil filter was not sealed tight and the filter was a little oily. I hand tightened the filter and cleaned it off and checked the level in the reservoir and it was 1" from the top. Assuming this stops the leak, and I'm sure it will, are there any concerns about the filter being loose will I was mowing(thinking about dust)? Second, will mowing in some taller fescue with the deck set at 3.5" , it seems that the mower leaves a few of the taller blades of grass uncut. The deck seems to be level as far as I can tell. The blades only have 2 hours of cutting time on them. Any suggestions? Oh, by the way, I'm in love with this mower!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I wouldn't be concerned on the filter seepage, just make sure it does not seep any more.
    As far as missing some grass.... you need to make sure your deck belt is tight, and your mowing @ full throttle, being your mower only has a couple hours of cutting time on it, I would think the blades are fine.
    If it continues to do this, have your dealer take a look at the deck level and pitch just to make sure your ok there.

Pj

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Your mower is fine. Its the grass thats the problem. Those fescue stems are so tough that no machine will cut them. If the fescue is tall you'll have to mow it 3 times to get it to look good and cut all the stems.

4. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the belt. I have not been cutting at full throttle because the motor seems to have so much power that I don't need to, but if it is recommended then that is what I'll do. The fescue that's giving me the slight problem was newly planted this spring and is thick and of course I'm cutting it fairly high. I'll crank up the rpm's. Thanks again.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your mower is designed to run full throttle, that gives you the max blade tip speed and will likely take care of your problem.

Pj

6. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

Pj,
    I'm still having problems with the cut on my mower. I have done everything that you suggested including taking the mower back to my dealer. I had to have a few things adjusted, other than the deck, and I ask them to check the pitch and level like you told me. He said that everything looked fine and that he cut a little with the mower and it looked good to him. He asked if I had "holes" in my yard and suggested that that was probably the problem. My yard is far from perfect but the area where I'm having the problem was professionally landscaped this past April. Here is what is going on: cutting established grass of minimal height at 2.5" the cut looks fine, cutting newly planted fescue of roughly 5" at the 3.5" setting the mower is leaving about a 4" strip along the right outside edge that is maybe half cut. The mower has less than 6 hours of cut time. I would greatly appreciate any help. I really do like this mower, but quite frankly I've had a lot of other more cheaply made mowers that cut better than this. Thanks

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your information and I will have a service representative contact your dealer.

Pj

8. xrayguy

xrayguy LawnSite Member

Wow! You guys really do "hustle". I have already been contacted by my dealer who talked to his rep and a plan of action is in place. He is going to come out and check the engine rpm's and put on a high lift set of blades and go from there. I appreciate the fast response.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear.
    We will make sure your problem is taken care of.

Pj

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I find that my Super Z cuts cleaner then my Super mini. I also find that it does not get great vacume on the nice trim edge which makes me sad. I find that when cutting high in anything but very thick grass I will miss some stuff as well. I have been in and out of the dealer for adjustment on several occasions. I have come to the conclusion that it is the deck design.

Let us know if you find a fix.