1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

a few questions?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chris's lawncare service, Apr 19, 2006.

1. chris's lawncare service

chris's lawncare service LawnSite Member

Hello All,

1st let say that i have learned alot from this site,I have been reading on here everyday for the last 4 months,just never posted cause i always found the answers through searching.

But here are a few questions that i need advise on.
    1. Do I need a license to put lime down.(Lady wanted me to fertilize and put lime down).I told her I wasn't licensed to fertilize but i should be able to put lime down.

2.I sent soil sample off and results were 4.9 pH,analysis was to add 72 lbs per 1000 sf,but seen on here to not do over 50 lbs per 1000 sf at a time.

3.Lady has 43000(almost 1 acre) sf property,so am i doing the math right?
    2150 lbs at 40lbs bags =53.75 bags

4.What would you charge for this?

Thx in advance
  2. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

In most places, you don't need a license to fertilize and soil amend.
    Your math is way off though, friend.

3-4, 50lb bags of a time release fertilizer and 3-4, 40 lb bags of lime pellets is all you need for that many sf.

Welcome to Lawnsite.
  3. chris's lawncare service

chris's lawncare service LawnSite Member

so you are saying all I need is 4 bags of lime to cover 43000sf?

my math calls for 2150 lbs
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

50# per M for the first ap. If you have a full acre (make sure your actual TURF measurement is correct - in other words, take away for the house, beds, and drive area. 43 x 50# is going to give you 2150# of lime. Also, heed the advice on the pelletized lime. While it is more expensive, it more than makes up for it with the ease of handling and spreading. Just make sure you get it all spread even because lime does NOT move in the soil. It stays right where it was dropped. It dissolves down, but does not move laterally.