A first with a 521

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Using the 521 today I had the ground wire on the common and the red wire on the zone wire and on settings 3&4 it kicked on the valve but not on settings 1,2,&5. Don't recall ever having the 521 turn on a valve before.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I usually use earth ground when using a detector.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

what are you talking about?

aren't you always supposed to ground with the earth on the black with that funky screw driver??

4. I always start that way but I was flushing out a difficult one with a secondary method.

5. After you track the wire path using the normal ground method you can then ground the zone wire and put the red on the common. This will cause them to cancel each other out. After you pass the valve the zone wire is attached to the null and sound will start up again.

6. Wet_Boots

There's plenty of juice in a detector, so solenoid operation is certainly possible. I can't envision a whole lot of benefit from not using earth ground, with some water to help it out, if necessary. For one thing, using two wires in a multiconductor cable might lead to a signal cancelling itself out. I always get a clarion blast when I find the solenoid.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Mind= blown....

very nice peter..i dont fully understand what your saying, but ill re read it a few times and let it sink in..

what do you mean by "ground the zone wire" hook black up to zone common and red to the wire in trace question?

8. That's cuz you manifold people are peons compared to us Texans when it comes to 521 usage skills.:p

9. Wet_Boots

We peons are smart enough not to put an 80 volt square wave across a solenoid. Why a solenoid doesn't announce itself, I do wonder.

The general idea in the locating process is for the wire to sort of become an antenna, radiating to your receiver. Grounding it out is something I don't need to do. I cannot recall a time I sent a signal into a solenoid, and couldn't hear its location.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

now that we are talking about the 521, can someone please explain how to determine depth?