A frame angle

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by ICky, Jan 27, 2000.

1. ICky

ICky LawnSite Member

When installing a used harness on a truck what should the A frame angle be? Local opinion ranges from &quot;the A Frame must be level with the ground or the plow will stick and grab&quot; to &quot;the A frame must angle up from the plow to the truck for proper weight transfer&quot; <p>I would be very interested in the opinions of the members of this forum.<p>and ....<p><br>Hi my name is Ian and I drive a 80 chev with an OLD Arctic plow <p>would never trade .....www.arcticsnowplows.com<p>ICky

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty level to slightly up to the truck on most plow makes.

3. ICky

ICky LawnSite Member

Ok ....<br>this is the scoop<br>old plow (no idea what make), old chev (mid 70&quot;s) just installed the used plow. The A Frame runs from 6&quot; of clearance to 8 1/2&quot; in 32&quot; of run. Is this to much? It is more then my truck runs but ....????<br>Is this more than slightly uphill, Lazer?<p>The plow does tend to dig more than mine but I run shoes and this plow does not, so my (gravel) lots have built up a few inches of ice/packed snow that this plow tends to rip up ....<p>should it be fixed with shoes or rewelding the harness and lowering the A frame? Would really like to keep the ground clearance up by leaving the harness alone <p><br>Thanks<p>ICky<br>

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Icky<br>As long as the the ends of the plow arent raised off the ground when the plow is fully angled you should be ok. It may have a little more bite on gravel, but on asphalt it will be fine. It may even want to trip easier, but adjusting the tension on the trip springs.<br>If you do mostly gravel I would definitly invest in an urethane cutting edge. It will float over the gravel surface and add a liitle extra trip action to the blade.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds fine. Plowking's right, as long as the cutting edge (once it's worn a little after a night of plowing) touches from side to side you're all set.<p>Bear in mind, that A-Frame &quot;levelness&quot; changes as the cutter edge wears.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you found this forum ICky. You'll find lots of info here.<br>ICky is plowing with a 2wd truck. Man, I had a pic of his truck and trailer. ICky, send it to me again, and I'll post it on &quot;Our Trucks & Equipment&quot; page. Dino, this is a 3/4 ton truck ICky tows a huge trailer with, try 20' + long. Much like your 84, a REAL work truck. Lives in Canada, so he knows what winter is! Oh yeah, you can say ICky literally towed a house with his truck. A log cabin, up into the mountains. They should do a GM truck commercial with his truck in it.<br>Welcome to the group ICky!<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html