A free tool I'd love some feedback on- Measure it from google maps

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ptjackson, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptjackson

ptjackson LawnSite Member

I've seen people doing quotes with Google maps. We are trying to create something free and useful to people here, so we are doing a free "measure it" tool. We just got it done today and I'd like to know how it could be made better for you all. The gear icon will let you switch between distance and sq footage.

Let me know what you'd like to see.

http://servicevines.com/jobs/measureit

also if you have an iphone we have the same tool in the app store.

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't seem to work on an IPAD. Put in the address and hit go and it didn't go.

3. ptjackson

Thanks Russell. I'll Check using my ipad. our Iphone app will work for you though. The only downside is that if you are in the very latest apple software (ios6) it's hard to zoom in close enough. We are releasing a new iphone/ipad version next week that moves back to google maps.

4. TK LC&L

TK LC&L LawnSite Member
    from PA

I really like this app. It will be very beneficial to give accurate measurements without actually going to a property. I did run into one issue though. A newer development, about 3 years old, is still a field in google maps. O well, that isn't your fault.

5. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it the only thing is how accurate is it ill measure my property to determine that tomorrow.

6. TK LC&L

TK LC&L LawnSite Member
    from PA

I measured my own and it was within one hundred square feet.

7. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I tried it Wednesday after you pm'ed me. We prefer to do all of our measurenents on site so that we can see what we have to deal with. But I like to quickly look online first to get a general idea. I had been using a simular site for measurements but yours is the first app I have used doing so.

When I tried it Wednesday it worked fine with my iPad. But like you said you can't zoom in far

8. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used my iPad and was able to zoom fine. I'm running the ios6 update

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

in my area you can't zoom in close enough to get accurate property line measurements, bing is 10x better around here (southern wv/va border)

10. ptjackson

Thanks all. Let me try and respond to everyone.

1. The web tool uses google maps, we went back and forth on what to use but ultimately google provided better tools. I know that in different areas different providers provide better maps. Maybe someday we can let you pick a map provider.

2. I'm looking into why the website might not work on the ipad/iphone.

3. There is an actual app (from the itunes store) that has this tool in it but apple pulled the rug out from us with the new maps (they suck). So we have a new app submitting to apple that will revert back to the google maps and let you zoom in.

Would a price/sq ft field be beneficial so it did the math for you or is that just clutter and you can do the math yourself?

FYI It's our plan to keep this tool free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.