A Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Volwrath, May 21, 2008.

1. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

Hello all,

Last year I had a small landscaping business with a friend, with most of our work coming from a realtor. To make a long story short, the guy screwed us out of a ton of money and forced us to quit business. This year I am trying to gather some money working for another landscaper to try and build up a cash source for some equipment and truck of my own for next year. I need some suggestions as to what i should buy to start out with, truck included. I have been trying to figure it out on my own, but its starting to make me go a little loopy! :dizzy: HELPPPPPP!!!!

Thanks a lot!

2. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

depends on how big you want to go. You could start off with a 150/1500 series truck, I would go with a 7-8x16' trailer off the bat. As for real equipment you dont need much just to start. get yourself a nice 36" walk behind, personally love redmax blowers and trimmers and you should be good to go to start. once business gets going get yourself a nice ztr and maybe a another larger walk behind

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, stop, or at the least slow down a lot.

The first thing you need to do is save up that stash of cash you just mentioned.
    Do that, don't worry about nothing else, just work for that guy and save your money.
    That's it, see you next year.

4. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info SOS. I'm just trying to get an idea so that i know what ill be up against next year equipment wise. What about prices? What would be some ideal guideline prices for any work to be done, factoring in gas and repair expenses?

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

yep I agree the only thing to be thinking about is your bank account and how to make it grow prioritize this

6. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

OK i get the point! lol I like to take things slow, but while i do i like to gather info. I'm always looking for new info and reading up on techniques. I'm just trying to get and idea what i will need to do for next year to build a customer base and start buying the equipment.

7. Stillwater

ah.... the equipment you are currently useing right now at your job is what you need,you need (money) for next year, that is more important than tools and customers right now look in your bosses shop and make a list of what he has add it up that is the cash you need...

8. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

ok thanks for the advice

9. Stillwater

I was going to send you a PM to help you avoid some smart ass coments some most likely will make but can,t PM you for some reason

10. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

interesting...just post them then heh