A friend asked me this yesterday?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by David W, Nov 7, 2006.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

He just seeded a new lawn 4 or 5 weeks ago and the annual rye came in nice but the tall fescue is still not quite at mowing height. He will have mowed it twice this week.

The problem is that clover is growing and he wants to spray herbicide to take it out. Would he be better off waiting to spring to take care of the clove to ensure not damaging the new fescue seed?

I wanted to get you guys opinion on this.

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

the normal wait time on newly sprigged lawns is Four Mowings.

3. David W

Roger that...I told him 3 or 4 under the belt first to be safe.

Would the end of Nov-first of Dec be too late for a broad leaf herbicide to even effectively work? I have never sprayed that late before.

Zone 6 by the way.

4. Shades of Green LService

Not to late. If Its really cold and the ground is hard you might want to go with something like Lesco 3 way Ester 2. or I.ve had good sucess with Momentum during the cold months at 2 to 1 ratio. Just tell your friend not to spray to the point of drip, thats when you burn the grass.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

5 weeks ago? The tall fescue is slow to come up? Do NOT spray it yet! Wait until the spring. This tall fescue isn't even CLOSE to being hardened off to take herbicide yet you have too many new seedlings that are to fragile and still forming. Concentrate on the growth, first, before anything. The clover can be dealt with in the spring. This grass is going to have a hard enough time when the real cold snaps hit it before freezing off. Don't speed this up by spraying it. Patience is a virtue here, especially with the time of year for your area.

6. Shades of Green LService

Go with That. That Makes More sense. Nice Post Runner

7. David W

Great post....thanks a lot runner!

We have had 2-3 really hard frost's here so far but with temps in the upper 60's and low 70's this week it's awful inviting to want to spray.

Patience is a virtue!!!

8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

If you really need to spray you can use DRIVE and/or QuickSilver. Both of these chemicals have no restriction on newly seeded turf. DRIVE is a systemic; QuickSilver is contact only. QuickSilver will show results in a couple of days, DRIVE in about a week. If you think the clover is not dormant yet the DRIVE will give you a leg up in the spring.

Good luck

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't spray!

10. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

Use DRIVE like "CRS" said. Ive used it on newly seeded laws it works great.