A friend wants to know what he should get...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerman05, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Mowerman05

Mowerman05 LawnSite Member

One of my buddies I work with just bought a house with roughly an acre yard. This yard has a number of trees (a couple of which are really big), shrubs, flowerbeds, all sorts of stuff. Lots of obsticles but flat - no hills. He is wondering what type of equipment he should get to mow it with and he also wants to know the best way to deal with all the leaves that are going to inevitably be coming down in the fall.

I suggested getting a ZTR... cheap non-commercial one. But I am just basing this on what I've read on the site. What do you guys think he should get if he is just going to be using it on his yard in northern Indiana? Is a backpack blower something he should look into for the leaves and beds, or should he invest in a bagger for the ZTR? I'm not sure if the leaves could be put out on the road, but he did say he thought he could probably burn them.

So I figured I would ask you guys since I really don't know the equipment and methods as well as a lot of people here. Also he doesn't want to spend much more than $2000 on the mower.. but would spend more for the bagger if needed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at a good used commercial machine. ZTR or WB. don't forget, a commercial user looks at a ZTR with 2000 hours seliing for 3000 dollars and sees that it will last 1 or 2 seasons. That same machine would probably last a homeowner 10 years..

3. Mowerman05

Mowerman05 LawnSite Member

That sounds like a good idea, yet I don't think he wants to spend over $2000 for the mower itself. Is it possible he could still get a good used commercial ZTR for under that? I don't think deck size is a big deal since he really doesn't have very much wide open space. I can check with him on that, though.

And then the leaf removal and all - should he go with a good commercial blower too or stick with homeowner units - or go with a bagging system on his mower?

Again thanks for any responses. I'm sure in a couple few years I would be able to answer these questions - maybe lol, but I'm new to all this and don't really know the equipment and their effective lifespans - and what the best way is for a homeowner to get a job like this done.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Your friend would be better off buying a new homeowner grade lawn tractor for a 1 acre lawn. A used ZTR costing less than $2000 is going to be in the junk category. Tell him to get a new John Deere or Kubota homeowner model with a 42-50 inch cut. I would get at least 14 HP and more if he can afford it.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, your not going to be able to get much, if any, of a ZTR for less than $2000.