A full 12x8 bed to sell as a product

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dig Yard Dirt, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

I need some ideas to create a 12x8 bed square, circle, or oval to market to home owners. This bed will have the same plants and shrubs so I will know my exact cost installing each bed. I would like to advertise a picture of a bed in the paper and sell it repetitively.

I thought of 12x8 outside perimeter of monkey grass dark green. 6-8 dwarf nandinas. Two Japanese maples in the center. Mulched (depends on surrounding landscape) and bed-edged or added feature, raised bed using retaining wall block fill with top soil.

If you have a picture of such a bed or ideas about creating such a bed, please share it with me.

2. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

You wern't planning to use these in subs? Hell, the only way I can find my way out now is by the landscaping.:p

Regards,
    Active

3. MowmoneyMowproblems

MowmoneyMowproblems LawnSite Member

Don't you think that this might get a little repetative. I mean who is going to want the same thing that somebody else has. You should really try and vary it. Each house and situation has different conditions which you need to think about. I would not recommend doing this idea personally but its your call.

4. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

second that

5. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

I disagree MowMoney. I think the standardized idea could work because 1. it could save money & time estimating. 2. you might be able to buy plants in bigger numbers and save $$. 3. client knows exactly what they're getting.

I do this with many of my residentials. I just don't let them know it is a boilerplate design!! FIRE!!

6. MowmoneyMowproblems

MowmoneyMowproblems LawnSite Member

I think that Sir Mow A Lot is a little mixed up here. I think that it is unethical to not tell the client exactly what is going on. Next thing you know they are going down the street and see the exact same thing at their house. This is very unnatractive landscaping and quite lazy. I think Jack Mayhoffer would agree!

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Actually I have 12 differnt plans that I use for just the occasion that was mentioned. You can show a pic of the differnt ones and give a quick estimate for the work. Plus its not that hard to change the pattern or substitute a few plants if need be. And after making up the plans and using them for the last 10 yrs I only need to update my cost each yr and I can leave a customer an estimate on the spot, save the time of going home and figuring it out and then going back. Still offer complete design but most customers in a sub div. choose some variation of 1 of the plans

Mac

8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a good idea for the cookie cutter type people. 12x8 isnt enough space for that plant material, especially the 2 jap maples. look to the future, 5-10 years from now, those trees are going to out grow the space.

9. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

You guys are understanding my concept, I'm thinking like Olderthandirt, have a organized bed plan. One, two, three, or more bed plans to market. the customer could pick a plan that is compatible with thier landscape or home. The plans can always be laregr or smaller, add or subtract even mix match. Have a price list of a basic bed, shrubs, plants, differnt mulches, trees, or hardscapes. At least you have a plan.

The customer knows excatly what they going to get, because you're going to show them pictures or tell them. The best advantage is knowing what you're going to sell and how much it is going to cost.

Buy in bulk and it expands your profit margin!

Olderthandirt could you share one of your bed plans?

thanks, Tommy

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Great! Not only will they all have the same inflatable santa cluase, they'll also have the same landscape. Hey I just thought of another idea. Gotta go.