1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A fungus amoungus

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rtom45, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I assume most of you have seen the yellowish foamy fungus thats been showing up in mulch the past few years. Here's a twist - this past week I found that fungus in my lawn. I've never had it in my beds, and I've never seen it anywhere else aound the house. I'm just wondering if anyone else is seeing it in lawns?
  2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I've had it in my beds for a couple of years. It starts out yellow and foamy, if you touch it it's gooey. After a couple of days it dries up and turns brown/black. If water hits it it's like dust. I would like to know what it is and what causes it. I've had it show up in my beds during last season when we had rain almost everyday and the year before when we had a drought. I get good quality mulch also.
  4. Hogbuoy

Hogbuoy LawnSite Member
    from NC

I live in raleigh, NC. I have seen this fungus the last two years. The fungus is not from the tree it's around; I have only seen it in mulch.

What the heck is this? Allthese pictures were taken after the color of the fungus had changed from bright yellow to beige; it will turn brown next then dry up and be nothing but spores (dust).

today 030.jpg

today 031.jpg

today 032.jpg
  5. Rtom45

Interesting that some one would revive this post after 2 years. I haven't seen anymore of this fungus in my lawn since I posted this a couple years ago.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT allow ANY of that dust to enter your sinuses.

I've never been do sick in my entire life.

Pulling weeds in beds one morning, on my hands and knees, turned a corner and put my hand down in the middle of a dry pile of that fungus.......poof......a huge cloud of the spores enveloped my entire head. I moved as quickly as possible but I had already breathed in a considerable amount.

Within hours I was sicker than I have ever been in my life. My sinuses got so infected I wanted to die.

I HATE that stuff with a passion.
  7. dkelley

dkelley LawnSite Member

8. Rtom45

Thats the one. I guess this thread should be renamed, instead of fungus amoungus it should be "I've been slimed".
  9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen it in my beds since I posted before. Maybe that was the trick. :p