1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A funny story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bjack312, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

I thought that some of you pros would get a kick out of this story. My son is 10 years old, and has started mowing lawns in the neighborhood this year to earn some extra money. He now has 6 lawns. He has been mowing with me on our rental properties for quite a while, and is a very hard worker.

Anyway, there is a big corner lot at the end of our street that has not been maintained very well this year. There was a teenager mowing it, and he did a horrible job. My son decided that he wanted this lawn and went to talk to the old lady that lives there. The exchange between the two reall made me laugh.

He introduces himself and tells the lady that he has noticed that her lawn guy does not do a very good job, and that he would like to give it a shot.

She agrees and asks how much he would charge. He said $30 a week, including trimming and edging. At this point she was kinda shocked and said that she was only paying $20 a week now. He just responded "you get what you pay for, it's a bargain at $30". He refered her to other lawns in the neighborhood as proof of his work. She finally agreed to let him do it.

The lady was even more shocked when she came outside to see this kid blazing around here yard on a big ZTR. In total, it took about 30 minutes for him to mow, edge, trim and blow. (The old guy took at least 2 hours)

The kid does top quality work. His plans are to expand outside the neighborhood after he turns 16, and wants to have a bigtime LCO after college.
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell your son VERY good job
    p.s. have him make a lawnsite account
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe she expected him to get out there with a reel mower (non-motorized) a broom and some scissors to do the trimming and edging with. I always like to see the shock on the little old ladies face as well when I release the hp on their lawn compared to what the other guy was taking a half day to do. Tell your son that that was a good response to give to by the way. (You get what you pay for)
  4. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Bravo for bjack312 jr!
  5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I knew of a guy who built his business so young that he had to pay someone just to drive him around at 15. He's now pretty well off.
  6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Thats pretty cool I started when I was 12 but I was doing construction with my uncle and dad at 10, I would give that kid a big pat on the back.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That is a very neat story, a child prodigy is pretty cool. It sounds like he's a natural and that dad has taught him well. Thanks for sharing.:)
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are actually a few kids on here who have done that.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ten is too young.
  10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Of course it is.

If my son is able to do that at ten years old, I will be rather proud of him and will encourage his business mindset and entrepreneurial spirit.