a gardener?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turbo5560, Jan 18, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

so i just wrapped up a bid for a resort and the guy liked the price but said that if he could find a guy that was also a gardener he would probably go with him instead. So what does a gardener actaully consist of? He asked if i had one on staff, but i don't... well then again maybe i do... what does a gardener do besides trim bushes and shrubs and pull weeds?

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

that's what we call lawn maintenance here. it is usually someone that will pull weeds and the little extra stuff most mow and go guys don't do...

3. turbo5560

well thats what i don't understand the bid i sent him was for all of that... the total package... but thats why i had to ask.

4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

You have anybody with a Hort. degree... maybe thats what the guy wants to see...

5. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

There's a guy on PBS who makes these sprays with tobacco and dish detergent and stuff. He is a "Master" Gardener. I can't recall his name but his having that title would indicate to me that the title "Gardener" requires something. What, I don't know - Curious though.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That may have been what he was speaking of, also. the only thing is, is that when you take a master gardener certification (got one years ago), you are NOT to use the fact that you have it for any profiting reasons. In other words, you cannot say you have one for the sake of getting work or making money with it.
    On the other hand, maybe the guy has someone who will wear a wide straw hat, weed beds, pick up dead leaves that fall stray, keep all the sidewalks clean of gum wrappers and debris 7 days a week. You know,....like the ones you see on tv on all the detective shows and stuff.

7. turbo5560

well i guess that helps some... i kinda think he is looking for someone like that and how is willing to mow and stuff... but i doubt he will find someone like that. If the "gardener" looks once at all tree he/she would think twice about the job. No gardener would be able to take care of them. So i guess this means i get the job :)

8. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Ask him what his definition of 'gardener' is. Maybe you have one or can get one. Then tell us what he expects from a 'gardener'. Joe

9. gringo gardener

gringo gardener LawnSite Member

will sow for blooms - LOL! they r probably seeking someone with credentials and certifications as part of their weeding out process ... imho i wouldnt be too fast to jump on them they might be trying to help u out as a professional

i would also call ur local extension ofc ... they might have a list of gardeners (as runner mentioned) who completed their course and u might be able to hire 'em part-time.

10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Jerry baker his mixtures work very well my Dad loves that dude. Same results just with household chemicals.