A good day for discussing LA ancestory

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bicmudpuppy, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I'm in Kansas. I'm bidding on work in Kansas. The architect is from the MO side of the KC metro. So, someone tell me why the specs for seeding would deliberately exclude hay or wheat straw and specifically recommend Barley, Rye, or Oat straw? Clean and weed free, I understand. I even understand obtaining and maintaining the integrity of the paper chase of the testing for forage grade weed free. BUT, Barley,Rye or Oats? And I can't use Hay or Wheat when that is what is predominately here? So, who knows of a supplier within shipping distance for certified weed free Oat straw?

2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

rye straw (NOT RYE GRASS) may be easier to come by. It is grown here for straw because it matures faster and will suppliment the shrinking wheat straw supply my late APRIL-MAY

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Somehow I don't think I'm going to like paying freight on straw bales from North Carolina. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. 15-20 years ago, I could have had a good shot at Oat straw around here, but I haven't seen any oats for a long time either. To top it all off, it is spec'd as certified (by a state agency no less) weed free. Getting out of state straw certified as weed free is going to be a real pleasure too, I am sure.