1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Good Day to be ME ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Apr 10, 2007.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Thought someone would find enjoyment from this.....Excavating for a walkout basement and running my dump truck today (kind-of). Digging going fine, loaded first load, drove to another lot about 1/2 mile away and backed in to dump by the other piles I saw back there. Well, backed in alright! Got about 1/2 way there and the rear end of my truck sank out of sight down to the axle.....boom! that fast!. Got out and found out they just covered this marsh with a skim coat of sand somehow.....Went and got the trackhoe and got it stuck too....after about 3 hours of this stuff, I just gave up and made the call to the wreckers....you know, the guys that charge more than I do, the guys that tow broken down semi's and the guys that pull dumbies like me out of quicksand/marshes.........Nothin' a little money won't fix........a thousand bucks later, we are up and out and down the road.......Anyone else have a Monday like mine on Tuesday?
  2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

WOW - We got our New holland LS170 skid steer stuck in a marsh today as well. We almost flipped it trying to get it out. We hooked a chain to it and backed our Chevy Duramax 3500 up to it and snatched that skid steer out (6200 LBS.) The next step would have been to call a tow truck but then again we could have done that with our dump truck I guess. Good luck

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

all that and no pictures for us to look at and laugh at what you did?

Sorry to hear that how big was the dump truck?
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Just one cut gas line and a torn out sewage cleanout that was on a line 5 foot deep in the middle of all the utilities.:clapping:
  5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Today must have been the day to get stuck day.Went to move the dozer to another job.It was back in the boonys about a mile and a half.Had to take out one lone tree another half mile down in the field.

The whole time it was raining.By the time i got to the road ,tracks was clear full of mud.Imagine that:dizzy: Got it loaded and chained down.Moved it about 5 miles to new job.Unloaded in the rain.

In the process of parking the truck and lowboy got almost off the road and got it stuck.Finally got it backed out far enough to get a better run at the drive and got it off the road .So called it a day and came home.

It will be dry when i go get it or it will get towed by the dozer !:usflag: Need dry, warm weather here.:walking:
  6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks man! I feel your pain. Getting a machine stuck is a horrible feeling, especially if you can't get it out yourself! You feel helpless. I'm usually by myself, so if I get stuck, I'm in trouble. Then there's always the prick who's never ran equipment that says "How do you get a ____ stuck?" You just want to smack him!:hammerhead:

Those wrecker companies are EXPENSIVE! I've been lucky not to have to use one, but I've almost called one a couple times. The worst that I've ever been stuck was when my dozer literally dropped when I crossed a water and gas trench, and I was right against the curb. It took all that a front load Advance concrete truck had to get me out. My machine was almost on its side.

Better luck tomorrow! I'd vote for a new dump site.:)
  7. RockSet N' Grade

Neuswede...........The dump truck was a full dump truck! I forgot to count how many shovel scoops 10 plus yards is, but I do know is at least two tylenol and 3 motrin worth!
    AWJ.....I assume the sewage cleanout was brand new and never been used before........right? :)
    I had a camera, but I was so embarassed and pissed and afraid my truck would tip over and my hoe would sink out of sight...it kinda slipped my mind........AND on top of all that, I just had my second root canal in two weeks AND just quit smoking! I am quite the pleasant guy to be around, I can assure you of that.......
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I feel for ya! Hope that helps just a little. Poor RockSet N' Grade, I wish you better days to come, that's for sure!\

root canals omg!
  9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The gas line was just run and they decided too cover up the cleanout.
    My first swipe with the skid found pipe.
    I had too dig a hole 4 + feet deep too find the pipe broke off inside the tee.
    I had 2 choices.
    Figure out a way too get the glued pipe out of the tee or dig the mess up and replace the tee.
    The only thing showing was my feet.
    I chisled the broke pipe out and went too work with a dremel tool.
    A few hours later problem solved.
    The main cable and phone line were within inches of it.
    The gas line was on the other side.

10. RockSet N' Grade

AWJ.....cracks me up.....reminds me of moving here on my ranch the first winter we had a busted water line in the barn, I tunneled straight down to the broken fitting (which was below frost line of course) and while I was working upside down, I got stuck.....had to wait for the wife to come out of the house to see how I was doing to tug on my boots and Carhartt's to pull my scared self out of that hole.......was kinda afraid she might just push the rest of me in and concrete over the top of me.........