A good day!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justgeorge, Mar 31, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I headed over to aerate a friends yard this morning. She got on the phone to several of her neighbors and before I left that subdivision I had aerated 5 yards (most just the front). Then I came back to my subdivision an aerated another yard I had lined up from my flyer.

Finally, I hooked up the JRCO dethatcher to the TTHP and dethatched a different yard. It will get aerated tomorrow. The dethatcher worked pretty good, I ran it two directions and it wasn't pulling out that much stuff the second time thru. First time thru there was dead grass flying everywhere.

Incidentally, I was demoing a Billy Goat aerator. Good thing for the demo - it was FAR too much work. The one I really want is the Turfco Turnaer, but it's $3500 with shipping....

So, for a new business just starting up, I had a great day!

George

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Aerating in Ohio in March? That's a new one...

3. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

4. justgeorge

yeah, I was sweating my a$$ off today.....soil was just right though, rained a couple of days ago and I was pulling some really nice plugs.

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

So when is the correct time for aerating in Ohio?

After the snow? Before the pre-ems? 1 day of spring? After easter? Ground temps?
    What is your aerating clock for Ohio?...... and Why?......just curious.. :D

6. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

well it depends on if the customer is rich or not ;)

usually I go through all my propertys when we get a good rain in the 1st week of april and then again in the fall

7. justgeorge

There were fert companies here putting down fertilizer (and I'm assuming crabgrass pre-em) a MONTH ago. Far too early for that!

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sounds like a great day to me

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Early Fall is probably the best time to aerate...you want the lawn actively growing as well.

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

majority of mine got a straight fert app about 3 weeks ago. we are now a lovely shade of green and ready to go full out monday. likely what you saw was the same