A good deal or bad deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Some guy is offering me a 36 inch snapper walk behind about two years old wit about 80 hours on it with a trailor that is two years old. A stick edger (i forget what company but he said it retails $500). And a homelite hand blower for $3300?

Or I can go get a new trailor with a weedwacker rack for about $1200. A brand new John deere GS 30 36 inch walk behind for 2600. Which would be a total of $3800.

Should I go for the old equipment or the new equipment? I am fairly new so the guy with the old stuff is willing to show me to how do all the maintainance for as long as I need. But if i go for the new mower I wont have anybody to show me how to take care of it. What is your opinion on what the better deal is?
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

you should be able to get a 5x10 trailer for about 7 or 800$. i would definitely go for the new if you are planning on staying at it for a long time
  3. Lake Turf

Lake Turf LawnSite Member

Its a better deal to go with the new equipment. I'm sure the guy took care of the stuff but since your new in the buisness it's better to have new equipment. Maintenance is not that difficult just talk to the John Deere dealer or refer to the owners manual
    or than again just post a thread....Good Luck!
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Here in Florida 5X10 open trailers sell for $625-$650. I paid $775 for a 6'6"X 12' open. Check the local welding shops. A lot of them make trailers for extra income and you can get a better deal from one of them. Down here $1200 will get a 7X16 with racks and a cage. As far as the mower and trimmers go, I would buy new equipment, it's less expensive in the long run. JMO.
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

For a $500 difference, it's worth it to buy new. If only because of the warranty. Older equipment will break down. What do you have to cover you when that happens? With new stuff, if it breaks just take it to the dealer and have them warranty it.