A good mower combo?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dan_greenthumb, Aug 9, 2007.

1. dan_greenthumb

dan_greenthumb LawnSite Member

I am just starting out and am looking to get the exmark metro 26" and the exmark turf tracer hp 36". Are there any other models i should keep an eye out for?

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

From what I have heard stay away from the metro 26". I think a 36" and 48" complement each other the best for 1/4 to 1 1/2 acre lots. The First question is how big are the accounts you are targeting?

3. dan_greenthumb

Mainly i want to be as efficient as possible whenever i have a small or big job. I guess that I am not really sure when a 36" or 42" would be overkill. About how many square feet are in an acre?

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

43,560 square feet is one acre.

5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

If you can use a 48, then you can use a 52. Have you looked at any stand on models?

6. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 36 EXMark and a 48 Scag and they work great on all the yards I have. I think its the perfect set up for my 1/4 to 2 acre lots that I cut.

7. dan_greenthumb

I have not looked into any stand-ons. would having a 21" just be a waste? Do the mulching attatchments work well? Or does everyone bag?

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I have a few 21's, because I have a few yards that require them. These yards can be good money, but it just depends on what you wanna do. I wouldn't mind picking up more of them. But that's just me. Also, I'd get a 48 and a 36 walk behind. I have a 48, and I'm kinda saving up for a 36, because it would be easier to use it someplaces.

9. dan_greenthumb

It seems that I can get some use out of a 21" or two. I think i will start with a 36"-42" and a good 21" or that metro 26". Hopefully that my bussiness will demand that I get bigger mowers.

10. dan_greenthumb

Is it better to stick with one brand? Or pick and choose? Do all companies make a competive mower? Is there one out there that blows all the competition away?