A good oil mixture???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jul 28, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Since I have had my trimmer (purchased used), it takes about 20-30 seconds to start and 20-30 seconds to warm up. My homelite blower starts on first pull but takes about 20-30 seconds of throttle useage to warm up also.
    Someone then let me borrow a semi brand new echo backpack blower. I filled it with gas and I have tons of trouble starting it, has to warm up like the others, and randomly shuts off in the middle of use.
    I have come to the conclusion that is could be my gas mixture. what brand do yall buy? every had problems like this?

2. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Check the plug, spark arrestor, fuel filter. Shutting down when it heats up could sure be a sign of improper fuel/oil mix.

My trimmers are Stihl.

3. stevenf

Its not an improper mix. its 1/50. one container per gallon like the bottle says. Im wondering quality.....

4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment quality or oil quality?

5. stevenf

oil quality. Have yall had these problems and then switched oils? what oil do you use?

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like the machine needs a little work.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

clean the air filter

8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I use echo oil and have similar problems. I just bought new 210 trimmer but still. I think some of the problems for me are caused by the blower or trimmer falling over (I just set them in the back of the pick up) and fuel either flooding the cylinder or getting the air filter wet. Some times I take the air filter out and it's saturated with gas, I slap it down a few times and start the machine with out an air filter.

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I use Opti 2 or Oregon One (I THINK thats what it called?). Only trouble I have is with my blower, and only when its HOT out.

10. stevenf

Im thinking that may be the problem. the trimmer rack that I made is a little to big for the handle of the trimmer so I strap a small cord around it to hold it in place. The engine is top heavy so it is actually holding it upside down.
    Doesnt explain it for the blowers though.....