1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Good Problem to have

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TotalLawn, Apr 2, 2003.

1. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I just thought I post this to put something good on here to contrast all the bad (SCRUBS)

I had decided to cut back on my accounts and go back to running solo this year. I cut my accounts to only the most profitable and least travel time. And said I would not take on any more. Since saying that about a week and half ago I have picked up 6 new accounts. I am pricing these new jobs at $50 to $60 per hour. I have lost out on 1 bid in the last 2 weeks. NO advertising, just word of mouth. Guess I may have to hire someone part time.

Like I said....It's a good problem to have!!!
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also solo. Last year I only wanted some landscaping work as an extra to lawn maintenance only until June. No advertising or anything, by word of mouth the phone keeps ringing. I worked all the way until the snow stopped me from working. I have started for this year the same way, the phone won't stop rining. I guess this is a good problem.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I tell everyone to stay a one man operation. Alot less problems, and alot less overhead. Maintenance wise, we have to clear $400. a day before we even see a profit. :mad:
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ive been in the business for 20 years. Ive been big (120+ weeklys) and realized it was better to stay small. I now have about 30 high end res., make more money, and am much happier. I have one employee, and we are done around 2 every day. I like the idea of 1 employee, just in case something happens to me. It took me 20 years to get here, but trust me, the grass really is greener....

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I downsized and went solo 7 years ago. Haven't regretted it one bit. Clearing more and more each year and with alot less headaches. For every account I pick up, I probably turn down 5. Must admit, I do have some part-time help now to help me with the landscaping projects. Just too much for one person to do when it comes to a mulching job consisting of 75 yards of mulch.
  6. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

Well I mowed 2 of my new accounts yesterday. I previously said $50 - $60 per hour. I actually made $71 per hour!!! As of yesterday I have 48 accounts that I will be doing (5 are bi-weekly).

Good luck to ALL!!!