A Good Problem to have

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TotalLawn, Apr 2, 2003.

1. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I AM NOT BRAGGING!!

I just thought I post this to put something good on here to contrast all the bad (SCRUBS)

I had decided to cut back on my accounts and go back to running solo this year. I cut my accounts to only the most profitable and least travel time. And said I would not take on any more. Since saying that about a week and half ago I have picked up 6 new accounts. I am pricing these new jobs at $50 to $60 per hour. I have lost out on 1 bid in the last 2 weeks. NO advertising, just word of mouth. Guess I may have to hire someone part time.

Like I said....It's a good problem to have!!!

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also solo. Last year I only wanted some landscaping work as an extra to lawn maintenance only until June. No advertising or anything, by word of mouth the phone keeps ringing. I worked all the way until the snow stopped me from working. I have started for this year the same way, the phone won't stop rining. I guess this is a good problem.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I tell everyone to stay a one man operation. Alot less problems, and alot less overhead. Maintenance wise, we have to clear $400. a day before we even see a profit. :mad:

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ive been in the business for 20 years. Ive been big (120+ weeklys) and realized it was better to stay small. I now have about 30 high end res., make more money, and am much happier. I have one employee, and we are done around 2 every day. I like the idea of 1 employee, just in case something happens to me. It took me 20 years to get here, but trust me, the grass really is greener....

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I downsized and went solo 7 years ago. Haven't regretted it one bit. Clearing more and more each year and with alot less headaches. For every account I pick up, I probably turn down 5. Must admit, I do have some part-time help now to help me with the landscaping projects. Just too much for one person to do when it comes to a mulching job consisting of 75 yards of mulch.

6. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

Well I mowed 2 of my new accounts yesterday. I previously said $50 - $60 per hour. I actually made $71 per hour!!! As of yesterday I have 48 accounts that I will be doing (5 are bi-weekly).

Good luck to ALL!!!