A good seed mix for hot weather....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bryanc3po, Jul 9, 2003.

1. bryanc3po

bryanc3po LawnSite Member

I was wondering if the three way rye is a good and heat tolerant seed mix.....or any suggestions for hydroseeding ing 85-100 deg. weather...right now its HOT in the great state of Idaho...thx Bryan

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

factor that I've ever heard of. All hot temps mean is they will have to water 3-4 times a day to keep the seed from drying out. Type of seed is a non factor.
    MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH AND HOW OFTEN THEY WILL HAVE TO WATER. Soil must still be damp on top when they come out to water again. If it's dry they need to water longer or more frequently.
    My "seeding info" sheet makes clear that the prep is guarenteed, germination is not, and is totally up to their care....
    DO THAT or you will be reseeding 80% of your summer lawns -
    "it just didn't grow, we watered it all the time!"
    RIGHT :rolleyes:

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

The watering is SO critical that watering services should be sold with the job so that you control that element. Also, it cuts out that 'lie' by the client.

4. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Lanelle -

Please explain in a little more detail what you mean by watering service.

Are you insinuating that you want to sell them an irrigation system? If they don't have one or don't want to pay to have one installed, do you go to the property 3-4 times a day and drag the hose around? If so what is your selling strategy for that one?

Thanks!

5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

Use a good fescue mix and water 2x daily and you should be ok.

6. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I always try to avoid seeding in the summer, but if customers really wants it, it can be done, I have like 10 hoses and timers, which I set up for the customer if they don't install a sprinkle system, I usually add this cost to the job before I give'em the price and unlike any other company around here I give a warranty that the grass will stablish or we redo it(call me crazy if you want) but I have gotten many more jobs, because the contractor before me couldn't guarantee grass stablishement, if you charge accordingly then you make a good profit.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes that what Lanelle is saying. Selling your time to go out and water the property correctly, or set up timers and hoses, then go out and check it over.

Selling is easy.

You give them a guarantee for 90% seed establishment.....ONLY IF they hire the watering service at the same time.

8. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

That's right Wallace. The first thing is to have a water meter to hook up to a hydrant so you have a legal source of lots of water.
    The next thing is to sell your services based on the manhours required. You can either set up a temporary watering system with PVC, sprinkler heads and hoses or you can use a tank, mounted on a truck or trailer. If you have to water by hand, be firm about charging for the time used. If you do the watering, it relieves the client of the opportunity to lie about how faithful they were to water :rolleyes:

9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Ahhhh ... thanks for the replies. Good advice in this thread. Im making mental notes.

I didnt realize you could hook up to a fire hydrant.

10. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Banned

"I didnt realize you could hook up to a fire hydrant"

That all depends on the city/county regulations. Some let you, some don't. Some are cheap, some are expensive.

IE there are two small towns near my place that have water systems. One won't let you use fire hydrants at all and the other will but they charge you $100 to hook up and $100 a day to use the hydrant. The town that won't let us use the hydrants at all does let us pump water out of a float plane lake for fre though.

The city of Anchorage charges $17 a month to rent a meter and $2.70 per 1000 gallons of water. They have fire hydrants all over the Anchorage bowl...makes it easy to hydroseed there.