A Good Spring App?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Dec 14, 2005.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have some straglers who put off overseeding and would like to have it done in the spring.

Is there something (fert) I could sub for my pre-em that doesnt effect the seed and will give the grass a kickstart?

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

If the lawns have bad crabgrass problems, you could still use a pre-em. Tupersan will prevent crabgrass and you can still overseed w/o any problems. Most people apply a starter fert with seed, but starter in the spring will lead to more weeds than usual. Do a soil test to see what the P levels are. Without a soil test, I would use something like a 24-5-11 or a 20-10-10, 50% slow. Then you could do either another follow-up app with Tupersan again or if the seedlings are well established, a Dimension app in mid to late May. I don't know about your area, but around here if you do a spring seeding don't forget the preventative fungicide apps starting in May as well. Spring seedings can be a headache, procede with caution.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

you can also use a fert that contains SIDURON anderson sells a 12-24-12. it works on cool season turf, might check the lable if any other type.

4. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Give it some Ammonium Sulfate in mid-march -- that'll kick start it.

Grass doesn't need much to kickstart it in the spring though.

My spring app is a 21-0-21 Nutralene/nitroform/SOP mix that works very well. But htat is on lawns that I have maintained for years.

If I took on new lawn, i would start with a soil test then decide what ti needed.

Even bad lawns look good in the Spring!