1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A good start up mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BQLC, Apr 29, 2006.

1. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am just getting started or trying to and I have a chance to purchase a Ferris 36" walk behind. my question is is this a good start up mower or should I go with another one?
  2. alyssa

alyssa LawnSite Member
    from FL

I was just going to ask the same question. My son's friend offered us a riding mower for $400 and we were considering it and now I can't think of the name. I will be back when I find out lol.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A good start-up mower would be most anything used at a fair price (meaning market or street value), so long it is a commercial model.

The 36" is too small for my tastes and I am a T-bar boy, but other than that I'd say it would be a go-getter, certainly better and faster than any rider, it would suit customers with those 3-foot gates whom I turn away because the gate is too small for my machine.
  4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

the price is what caught my attention but was unsure if I should not get a zero turn rider
    Do you have a suggetion on trailer size? I can get the mower and trailer for less than 3 thousand.
    Whatcha think?
  5. Mad_Russian776

Mad_Russian776 LawnSite Member

I'm actually in your exact situation, just starting out and considering a 36" Ferris wb. My local dealer has the Ferris beltdrive priced at $2700.

My reasoning for going with the 36" is the versatility in terms of fitting through narrow gates. Being that i'm new, I cannot afford to turn customers away.

Trailer size...I'll repeat the opinion shared by most others on this forum. Go with the 6x12 over a 5x8. You will have less manuevering of equipment and you will likely soon outgrow the smaller trailer.
  6. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a 36" and then if you have the money invest in something bigger. When I was starting out i constantly had problems with lawns so big it would take me 3 hours to mow one with a 36". Just plain and simple if you are doing residential prolly also get a 48" or a 52". Just my opinion!
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What size porpertyies are you aiming to service? This will determine if the size of the machine is good. All an all, I think a 36" is a good way to start. I started with one, got a couple bigger machines but since I am not doing any really large yards, I'm back to using just the 36" and a 21" for the little bit of finish work that I have.
    What size and type of engine is on it?
  8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would get the 36 perfect to start out with...what i have right now....but save money so u can get somehting bigger b.c on the big yards that take about an hr with the 36 can be done in 1/3 of the time with something bigger
  9. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for a good 36" I have an Exmark w/mulching kit no more than 30 hrs on it. But you will have to come and get it. Sorry.
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

what ever you do...BUY A COMMERCIAL MOWER.......belei e it when its said a residential mower wont last..:)