A good walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phat-MiKe, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Phat-MiKe

Phat-MiKe LawnSite Member

I was wondoring what would be a good decision for a walk-behind.. Our average lawnsize is a 1.25 acre, Would a Viking Hydro 32" with 17hp kaw be ok? Im going down to the lawn dealers this coming monday and going to purchase something under 4-5 grand.. I want lots of horsepower and reasonable cutting deck, also a stand on or seat for the back (Florida is hott).

I would appreciate any input, Thanks.

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

usually a 32 is for small yards with tight areas.If your average yard is over an acre ,than you want at least a 48 inch cut.Most guys start with a 48, then get a smaller mower when money is available.In some cases a 48 is cheaper then your 32 or 36 because of the demand.

3. Phat-MiKe

Phat-MiKe LawnSite Member

Do you reccomend a good brand? Hydro is a good choice for FL i have heard, Also what about unwanted tracks with those seats in the back.. What do u suggest?

4. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a 48 or 52 hydro. I have a 32 scag my average lawn is 1/2 acre and I am in need of a bigger mower, also if you do end up getting a 32" I wouldnt see why you would ever need 17hp on a 32" I have a 12.5 kaw and it has plenty of power for my mower waste of cash if you ask me

5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Being young and starting out(i presume is your case)poss. search out the classified ads for used w/b's.Secondly PLEASE stay away from a rider seat,get a stand up sulky.Most commercial mowers are all in the same boat as quality etc.Your top of the line are scag,exmark.It's all in what you want if going new, you need to demo diff. machines,and find what you like.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In your price range I would either look at the Exmark Turf Tracer or Turf Tracer HP 48 inch models. I don't think that 32 inches is large enough for the size lots that you are doing. You can also get the eXmark Self-Steering Sulky Model No. RS52SSW sit down sulky to go with the mower.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, go with a 48" cut. I have a 36" that sits around and is used only as a backup. (I plan to possibly trade it in on an Exmark Z in 2002.) They are both hydro Exmarks. I also purchased the Exmark steerable sulky for my 48" Viking (kinda pricey) but to me, worth every penny. I've owned the Bullrider velkie (very solid, well built) but it doesn't compare to the Exmark steerable sulky as far as cutting on slopes and getting into tight spots. I have also owned a belt drive mower and would never buy another. Hydro is the ONLY way to go, in my opinion. Good luck to you.

8. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have some 48" mowers and a 32" as well. In my experience, I think the 32" is really suited to gated yards that a 21" mower would take too long to cut. I have a 1 acre prop. I cut once with my 32. I had a sulky on it and ran wide open at 6.5 mph and I thought I would never finish it! I would go 44" or above for the size lawns you are cutting.

9. I agree with the advise to get a 48 or bigger

Scag exmark and gravely have good one's choose the one that the dealer gives good support.
    Good dealer support is almost as important as the machine you buy.

10. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

**Good dealer support is almost as important as the machine you buy.**

I, a product guy, will even admit maybe more important that the product.

A hydro 48" float would be my choice. Check out the New Gravely walks if you have a decent dealer near by....you never know you might like it.

17hp on a 32 is overkill.

Barry
    Gravely/Ariens Guy

Ariens: since 1933
    Gravely: since 1915