A gravel truck "boo-boo"

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Aug 2, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

This happened last week and I finally got the pics.
    The driver was dumping his load, he noticed that the bottom stage of the telescopic cylinder hadn't come up first, and there was a slight oil leak, by the time he caught on, the seals blew, the dump box came down, and the force bent and snapped the cylinder like a wet noodle, it smashed through the cab and flipped the truck over. The driver was unhurt but the frame looks bent and the cab wall is just plastered in oil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The repair shop had removed the top parts of the cylinder and scrapped it, the lower portion might be saved, but they need to do a close inspection of it.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like those A frame hoists I imagine that truck pulls a transfer ?

If so they put those hoists on so you have a small to no dog house in the box so when you pull the transfer box in it can move in farther.

As for the hoist they are cheap for 3500-4000 you can have a new hoist from Commercial Hydraulics I forget the other manufacture.

Judging from the back of the cab that truck was a tractor at one time and it looks like a Fruitliner.

3. bobcat_ron

Yes, it was a transfer truck, but I think it spends most of it's time with a pup and it was a highway truck with a sleeper before this life.
    When I saw it last week, the hoist was at a sharp angle, and still attached to the A-frame, the bent part was almost up against the windshield.

4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

By the looks of the weld in the second picture they didn't have very good pentration,lots of weld ,but not burnt into the bracket:hammerhead:.

What do you think G.R.?????:usflag:

5. bobcat_ron

That's the way they are all made here, but that loos like a home made bracket, the box fell over to the driver's side.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody has mickey moused that hoist saddle to fit a tractor. I never had the first stage stick it sounds like the hoist has been bent. If the truck has been used as a transfer truck at one time the hoist sees lots of abuse. You have 20 tons of gravel plus another 5 tons or more of dump boxes.

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

how does a hoist or truck take more abuse when it is a transfer truck? i dont understand how..

8. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

If by transfer truck you're talking about just moving material around on-site that means that you didn't have to comply with any weight restrictions so you loaded the truck as heavy as you could and that put more stress on it.

9. bobcat_ron

A transfer truck is a truck that has another box on a trailer behind it and it transfers it into the box of the truck and dumps it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You would not believe the amount of weight the cylinder needs to push off the frame rails with a fully loaded transfer box, it sometimes meets and exceeds the allowable weight of the hydraulic system.

10. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

ok that makes sense now... thanks