A Great Customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigJim, Nov 22, 2002.

1. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

So many threads about PITA customers thought I'd just tell you about one I was at today.It's only the second time I've mowed her lawn and when I was finished she came out with the money and a piece of paper,on which she had the details of another neighbour 2 houses along, and she said Mrs Smith is wanting her lawns done too,can you quote her because I recommended you,which I did,and got the job.And she said by the way did a Mr Wilson phone you about his and his neighbours lawn yesterday,because I recommended you to him too.I said yes he had, and I had got those 2 too.Thats not bad 3 new lawns off a customers second mowing.I must be doing something right after all,I think her next mowing is free:) Can't beat word of mouth advertising.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you got lucky there!!

3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Way to go Jim! By the way, what's your season like down there?

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

thats a sweet deal. you should send her a nice thank-you or a small gift:D. word of mouth will make you or break you.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice. When anybdy recommends you the job seems to be yours before you even estimate. She is giving you work by recommending and you should let her know that she is appreciated. She may have allot of friends !

jeffyr

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

heres something I do for good referrals...I buy them a nice florist arranged house plant ...I attach one of my business labels to the vase along with a nice thank you card....they really appreciate it and a house plant lives a long time and so you are "fixture" in their home....only costs about $15....and as we all know, referrals are priceless...give it a try

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Big Jim,

That's GREAT! :D

Be sure she know's she is appreciated.

Some my disagree with me on this but here is what I do:

When one of my regular clients get me a new account I show my appreciation by giving them a free cut. I don't tell then that this is my policy so they are really happy, and surprised, when I do this for them. If someone is going to boost my income by about $1500 a year I feel that a $40 cut is a very reasonable exchange (roughly 1 hour of my time and a bucks worth of gas).

Some of my accounts have gotten 2 or 3 'free cuts' this way.

I just make it clear to them, when they receive their 'complimentary mowing', that I only do this for ACCEPTED referrals...so don't bother sending me any 2-weekers, referrals from across town, mountain-side properties, ect. So far, so good! I've been able to pick up some nice, weekly, lawns here in my neighborhood using this system.

8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Good post Jim! I know I should take more time to thank the good customers I have. Out of 91 I only have 6 PITAS and I spend too much time thinking about the 6 instead of the 85.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few like that. It makes our job a whole lot easier if we feel appreiated like that, IMHO. I have been through the real PITA customers so getting a really good one is very refreshing. I make sure I send all my customers a Christmas card every year to tell them how much I appreiate their business.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

before u know it jim ur sheep will be giving u referals too :D talk about some good luck