1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A growing weed problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bwiegers, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Bwiegers

Bwiegers LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. My lawn has been overtaken by weeds and from what i understand now is the best time to try to remedy this problem. I am a do it yourselfer when it comes to lawn care and landscaping and i have a good general idea of what to do but i need input and direction. Let me start by saying i mow the lawn frequently (1-2 times a week) and i tried killing the weeds with a local application spray, it wasn't successful. They are all the same kind of weed but i am unsure of what kind it is.
    I plan on fixing this problem by aerating the lawn, and then overseed. Does this sound like a good process to get my lawn back? Also what kind of seed should i put down. Also should i also put any fertilizer down?
    I am unsure about the grass type. I beleive it is fescue, i overseeded with a high heat mix in the spring, and im pretty sure it has fescue in it. I cut my lawn with a lawnboy push mower and it is set at 3 out of 3.5, i beleive it is 3 inches. It is generally higher than the weeds. I am greatful for help anyone can provide. I have also included links to pictures of the weeds and one of a patch of my lawn.

2. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile