A Guy and His Pushmower-- Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WJW Lawn, May 25, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been in for 2 yrs....purchased nice expensive eqipment. I recently noticed a man who pulls a small trailer with a pushmower-looked like a commercial 21" Lawnboy...a Weed eater...edger...and blower. He does small yards...and since ive seen him on a few residentials--he seems to do a good job.

THE QUESTION--When I see that...I wonder if I spent too much money on my stuff...lol It seems that some people can run a nice business with 21" Lawn Boy ..lol instead of a zero turn.

What do you guys think of that? And I know you've seen it!

:hammerhead:

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

that doesn't happen around here, most yards are too large to be efficient. and when august is here and it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity, pushing=torture. excepting the professional lco's, what i mostly see is ancient, CHEAP riding tractors. i have never seen a lco with a walk behind here either, i guess due to the heat in the summers. most of them have 1-3 ztr's, and there are very few back yards with small gates here.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to use a push mower and I feel its a crappy way to work. If I get more customers (lots more) I'm going to buy 34z.

But even that is too much work. Why can't someone ivent a mower that is small like a smart car so my feet would never touch the ground.

4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda like the guy with only a shovel doing snow clearing. He can do a good job but with a snow blower you can do maybe three times the work 7 cm and up.

5. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

but think about it if you are making a 1k a week and have to use half of the money for mower payments, and that guy with the 21" is making $600 a week and dosent have any payments hes technically doing better than you, but my guess is he dosent enjoy using a push mower and is saving up for a ztr

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point...he may be just starting out and saving up. He does a good job with a 21"...but it does look back breaking. Customers dont care as long as it looks good.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i was mowing all my lawns with my honda 21" until last august when i bought my eXmark. i don't see how i mowed without it

8. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

even if he bought a used walk behind hes still ahead of the game....

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

i used a 21 inch my first year with 20 lawns... now i have 116 accounts in my third year and only have one walkbehind and a 21" going at the same time
    going to be getting a stander or another walkbehind in the near future

money wasted on equipment is wat drives many LCOS into bankruptcy dont buy anything unless there is no way you can get work done without it

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You have to explain smart car to americans lol but I've seen them in europe, niftiest thing.

I like my 48" Wb's, they are fast, nimble and light, and with a velke, hardly a pita.

I still say that a Z is a luxury, they are nice but the price doesn't make up for the raw $ / production hour, the Wb I find is as if not more efficient dollar per hour than the Z... The Z does, however, make up for it in large lots thou the smallest Z I would get is a 60" because what sense in getting a small-deck rider when all it's good for is the great wide open?

Another way to say it is, I get 48"s with the velke and a striping kit nowadays for right around 3,300... Why spend 7 on a machine that I know does not get twice the work done, not to mention the mpg in the truck falls through the floor and if I have to buy a 21" to get in those spots you can forget it, I have an irrational but real DREAD of ever operating another pushmower, I will not do it, I refuse lol