a hammering case

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

trying to diagnosis a water hammer which i havent yet had the opportunity to hear.

client initially stated that the system has a crash noise when turned on, thinking odd- i asked if they were sure if the cash happened when system is turned ON or OFF.
    Client replies that they're not sure, it just happens at in the early morning hours

i did a mainline repair on what happened to be a long stretch of higher-than-the-rest elevated pipe, could it be trapped air?

on a possibly unrelated note: dv-100, in your opinion, is it fast or slow-closing?
    In relation to the dv-100 will a toro 260 close more slowly under the same variables?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the classic Toro valves were always the slowest to close when using the manual bleed
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Rhett, is this on city water or a well?

How long is the run?

If this is a main and not a laterial then the possability of trapped air is nil. A small portion of air introduced via the repair would likely have been purged from the line once the system ran for a while.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of hammer, I want to reduce the hammer from my toilet valve. Anyone have any bright ideas I haven't already thought of?
  5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

just pee outside.... less water use from not having to flush anymore. :laugh:
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'm assuming you've thought of in-line hammer arrestors?
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A traditional plumbed solution is not an option. The only thing I have thought of other than throttling the stop valve down, which is undesirable, would be to use something like Watts Floodsafe supply hose in the hope that it might reduce upstream hammer.
  8. Wet_Boots

What's the water pressure?
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Pressure is irrelevant in this equation, but if you must know, it is likely in the upper 40's without putting a gauge on it.
  10. Wet_Boots

Not entirely irrelevant, since you might have room for small PRVs at each toilet supply valve, in order to run them at the lowest possible pressure.