a hammering case

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

city water

pressure here at the bib is often 80-100, until a homeowner has to replace an appliance & then has a regulator installed, then lower, but that doesnt affect the system, (i dont think)

run is prob 50 yards, its the highest point on the place.

__
    what do you guys think about locating the valves and manually opening, say, 3 or 4 valves at once?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If every zone is hammering, it might be a job for a slow-closing master valve.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. The knock best I can tell is right near the bathrooms, and the only access to that plumbing is through tile or the roof, both of which would cost a lot of money to fix. It's not a serious knock right now, sounds like the pipe might be moving somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/32-1/16", but nonetheless it is a weak point.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Problem here is the zone valves need to close before the master.

5. Wet_Boots

Yeah, today's controllers won't likely have what it takes to cure system noise with a master valve.

As for the pipe noise near the toilet, why not try to immobilize the hidden plumbing with some expanding foam insulation?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention the zone valves need pressure to close.

It is already foamed.

7. Wet_Boots

A sprinkler idea that might actually work on the toilet supply, is in the form of the "fluid resistor" in the old Rainbird brass valves, giving a long flow path in a larger diameter waterway.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Taking into account your anal nature it suprizes me that the water gods have placed you in the barrel on your own home.

Since i know you followed the crews and anything that didn't pass the white glove test was addressed personally, i too am dazed and confused.

Could you have a leak in the main before the house? What about backflow? Is the supply copper or pex?
    pex moves a lot, even when strapped firmly.
    Could debris be in the line?

Have you placed gauges on spigots and bibs to measure pressure when flushing, done a meter check or purchased a buttload of beer? I have a feeling a lot of brewskies will be consumed before this puzzle is solved.

Best of luck kiril
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Could not have happened to a nicer guy. :rolleyes:

10. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

what would cause a ESP-SMT to send current even if in the "OFF" dial position,

Unplugging the controller from outlet being the only thing to stop the current?