1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

A Head Scratcher...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bobw, Sep 10, 2007.

1. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I'm officially stumped by a situation at a customer's house....

The call was that zone 1 was weeping and that only zone 2 would work from the controller...

Checkout the valve for zone 1 (Irritrol 2400T), figured that the diaphragm was shot... open up the valve.... the little plastic bit that the solenoid seats in falls off... strange.... replace the diaphragm, spring and bonnet...

Put the voltmeter to the controller (Nelson 4000)... no voltage coming out on zones 1, 3 or 4 .... OK... no big deal..replace the controller with a rainbird ESP6 that just happened to be on the trailer for a job tomorrow...

Zone 1, 3 and 4 STILL don't work.. well... the controller is putting out voltage... the wire (nasty telephone wire 22ga...) at the valve has no signal.... wtf? So.... pull a fresh stretch of proper wire and rewire...

Zone 1, 3 and 4 STILL don't work... well... there is now voltage to the solenoids... but the solenoids aren't lifting... Replaced the solenoids on two valves (2400s...), didn't have an extra solenoid for the last one...

So... an old controller that is shot (and yes..even on the work bench, so signal on those three zones)... wire that is shot (on the same 3 zones)... solenoids that are shot (on the same 3 zones)...

Anybody have any idea of what could have happened that would result in this?:confused:
  2. I'll need some plane fare to check this personally.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Three zones shot? Have three shots of Wild Turkey and think about it tomorrow.
  4. bobw

Tell ya what... you come on up here and handle the last bit of the season and blow outs and I'll head down there and satisfy my craving for Tex Mex (Herrara's (best chips), El Fenix (the best Chile Rellano), Tin Star (funky taco's), Uncle Julio's (fajitas...and lots and lots of margaritas..rocks, salt). Maybe slide down to the original Sonny Bryans for a sandwich and some onion rings....
  5. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Any chance those three zones could have been on the same program (but different from others) and ran all winter long while the water was shut off?

Are the 3 valves all located together?
  6. bobw

All 4 valves are manifolded together (standard procedure around here). They were all working in July; he went on vacation and came back to browned out yard.
  7. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Any evidence of surge damage on the terminal strip of the Nelson Controller?
  8. On second thought let me mull this over............
  9. Did you replace the transformer? Check voltage at outlet for timer? Is lightning damage a possibility?
  10. bobw

replaced the controller (and transformer with it).

Outlet is right off the panel, I did not check the voltage.

Lightning damage? We don't get the big storms like you do, but we've had a couple electrical storms this summer.