a "horn" for ride-on units ???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 28, 2011.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I know this sounds stupid, yet the cost involved ain't much.

We have a few commercial accounts where it works best to "tag team" them by using two people:

Person 1) Ride-on unit (spread & spray) -- treats the bulk of the properties (maybe as much as 98% of total square footage).

Person 2) Uses a "push spreader/backpack sprayer" to treat steep areas & small islands.

a) Flags the properties.
    b) Fills out invoices.
    c) Blows granules off hard surfaces
    d) "Brings needed product to the ride-on applicator when he's running low on granular fert or liquid herbicide".

Problem with two-way radios:

1) The ride-on applicator needs to stop what he's doing (production).
    2) Then has to get his radio out of his pocket.
    3) Person #2 also has to stop what he's doing.
    4) Then person #2 also has to pull "his' radio out.
    5) When person #2 needs to contact the ride-on applicator via two-way radio...most likely the ride-on guy will not hear it anyway cuz he's operating the machine.

So why not just install a cheap push button horn for ride-on sprayer/spreader units? No need for stopping, cuz you could use it on the fly to notify your "assistant".

I think you get my drift. American astronauts spent millions developing an ink pen that would write in space. The Soviets solved it by merely using a pencil.

BTW I already passed this idea along to XXXX, but I'm not sure they were interested in this simple/cheap idea.

Any thoughts? Thinking out of the box? thanx :usflag:

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Larry, I saw that episode of West Wing too! I've always wondered if it was true. Anyway, adding a horn is a good idea. :)

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

You think if you could play frisbee You could operate a radio

They have mics that clip on your pocket or collar you can call with one hand

But you would have to drop the frisbee

A horn would work but i spent my electric on a foam marker

I work solo so no one would here it but me

Charles Cue

4. VLTS

VLTS LawnSite Member

Good idea, I got hit on my ride one, Some dude was texting/ playing with his cell phone, Not paying attention while pulling into a parking spot that i was in. I saw him coming, but he gave me a pretty good bump.. Enough to toss me off the machine. F***er!

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd settle for a hose real on the T.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What tune would the horn play Larry?

'Iowa Fight Song'? :)

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

excellent idea larry, missed you at the gie of course(cuz you werent there), but did see the T and the new improvements.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

..........:laugh:........hilarryous

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

or train your worker right and he will be one step ahead of you at all times. Bags waiting, steep hills walked and flag flying in the breeze.

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

or develop some sign language. I have signs that would make Mrs.Keller crap her pants. I can say.... "get me another bag before i run out or your lazy a$$ is fired and you will walk home without my company shirt on" in less then a second with sign language. No seriously, thats a actual conversation that was had.