A HOVER mower!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GraZZmaZter, Feb 25, 2003.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I was flipping through Turf magazine's 2003 buyers guide, and i came across something VERY VERY strange. On page 19 is an add for a mower by Allen (John if your reading, did you have something to do with this?? LOL) It is a "Hover" mower, which i am assuming does not touch the base of the lawn while in operation?!? There is a picture of the machine in the ad. It almost looks like something from outer space!! There are no wheels, and in fact looks to be hovering on top of the grass. I have never heard of such a thing, not even here on Lawnsite. Does anyone have any information on this machine?? I would love to do some research on it, as it has very much provoked my curiosity. Thank you for all info.

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Its a flymow! They have been around for years, they banned the ones with steel mowing blades and now use line similar to a string trimmer. Husky makes one.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always wanted one but, I din't like the fact that it didn't have a steel blade.

5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for the responses!

Bob

Thank you for the post's. After reading through some of them, i can conclude that these machines are probably junk. I still would like to just try one out to see exactly how they work. Hopefully ill see one around this summer. Ill keep an eye open. Thanks again all!

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna makes em too.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I thought Hover only make vacuum cleaners???:D

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

No, that's Hoover. I have a Flymow with steel blade. I love it. But, it doesn't run right now. Needs a little work.
    Crawdad

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, flymowers aren't junk. In fact far from it. These machines have been a staple of golf course maintenance equipment for many years. They are simply wonderful for mowing on hills, creek banks, areas to rough for a rotary or reel mower to get into and too large for weedeating.
    Second, steel blades have not been banned. It is the insurance issue on using them that made the steel blades too costly to use.
    There are steel lined, plastic blades that mount onto the rotating disc under the machine that work very well indeed. They used to be available with large diameter nylon line holders - something over 0.130". The problem was crews were cutting the line to long and actually destroying the plastic decks. This is why the plastic blades where developed.
    If you have a steep hill to mow, hanging one of these mowers from a rope works great. You don't slip and/or fall and the slope gets mowed.
    And yes, you can adjust the height on these machines through the use of spacers - although it does take tools.

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a very old Flymo. I use it on new sodded yards.