A hypothetical unsticking question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Aug 18, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is hypothetical situation, you’re a solo operation, and for whatever reason you get, a z-turn stuck in a clients back lawn. You can’t get a truck back there, it’s farther away then the amount of rope and come along, or you or you don’t have a rope with you.

It is stuck up to the axles and to further complicate this scenario, the customer will be hi-tailing out of town in 45 minutes; the property is completely fenced in, and will be locked up tight for 5 days. There is no way you can get to a store to buy a longer rope.

The question is, how do you get it unstuck, or in this scenario are you going to be doomed to be without a mower for 5 days? All options are at your disposal, except using your truck, chain, rope and come a long.

I have an answer what I would do, lets here what some of you would do in this revolting situation

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Get one of those winches that attach on to trees and pull it out.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Wedge a few pieces of wood, or the floor mats from your truck under the rear wheels to gain some traction. If all else fails, call Fareway, he has experience getting mowers out of tricky spots :D

4. 6'7 330

One further and the last complication,no trees back there.

5. 6'7 330

It's buried both wheels,like in a swamp ,fareway's stairways dont count lol

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm so new at this that I have not had a machine stuck beyond pushing (on customer's prop.)...... but here's my current plan.......

Go back home and get the OLD Cub Cadet 149 with 23X10.50 deep lug tires.
    Pull out the Z with that.

The old Cub has just the right weight and traction to get the job done but not make a mess.

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Get another Z to pull it out, it might work. Never really used one. Just a suggestion!!

8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Break out the lifting belt and start the Backyard Strongman Games 2005. Make sure to stand on a wide board so that you don't sink also.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Alright, take a shovel, dig out an area around each wheel, then you can try the floormat trick. But if you're really in a swamp, you'll probably just get stuck again 3 feet later :dizzy:

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bypass the seat switch, get off the seat and push/pull it out by hand, useing the hydro's while pushing/pulling. I have been working solo for 5 years, and have only had one incident (stuck in a 4 foot deep ditch) that I needed help to get my Lazer unstuck. I'm not a little guy by any means either (6'-235 lbs) so this technique may not work for everyone.