A job I didn't get.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not worried about it. I just kinda put this out there for the guys that say that a lot of guys like me don't charge enough money. I'm getting as much as the market will bear and in this case, it was too much.

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

That kind of sucks because around here that would be considered a mid to low bid.

Just goes to show how different it is around the country.

3. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I thought it was a good price. Sometimes I wonder just how many of these bids are for nothing anyway, the reason being is this. I think sometimes these people who are in charge has a family member or a buddy who wants to do it but because the higher-ups make them get more than one estimate, they do, and keep getting them until they make sure that their buddy has the lower one.....When I look back at a couple bids I did when I first got in this and know that I bid way to low and still did not get it. Just my 2 cents....

4. exmark232

exmark232 LawnSite Member

dont sweat it i use to worry about that stuff but you will get something els thats a nice contract to have, you cant always get what you bid

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not worried about it. I just kinda put this out there for the guys that say that a lot of guys like me don't charge enough money. I'm getting as much as the market will bear and in this case, it was too much.

6. erictm007

erictm007 LawnSite Member

Just a thought, HOAs choose companies for different reasons. The price is not always the most important. Sometimes it could be qualityof work as viewed by the HOA. The type of equipment used by the company, or refernces. Some HOAs send out bid request to find out if their service company is within the acceptable rate for the area. This dose not reflect on the service company, its just a choice the HOA made.

7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

You guys better start sweating it. Do you think it's going to get better next year? No way, this buisness is going in the crapper fast.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its in the crapper already. I had more profit per mowing 12 years ago with slower mowers. Cost of equipment is sky high, new guys starting are real cheap, and the times are very tough now. To keep any business you have to watch your price very close.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I think they did you a favor. Litter pick up on 2.5 acres for 52 weeks, plus mulching, plus trimming 2 times, all at $ 15.38 per week. No Thanks....

10. SLMGT

SLMGT LawnSite Member

It would be interesting to know what the winning bid was. Not considering the trash pickup and small amount of mulch & weeding, the 31 cuts come to ~$171 per cut. If the job was on, or was close to my normal route, I might could go as low as $4,650 or $150 per cut. The year round trash pick up would give me the most heart burn. If you hear what the winning bid was please let us know.